Pinworms are small white worms about 1/2 inch long and as thin as a thread. These worms can live in a person’s large intestine. The adult female crawls out of the rectal opening at night and lays her eggs on the skin around it. These eggs cause the child to itch and scratch at the rectal area and around the vaginal area in females.
To find out if the itching is caused by pinworms, the eggs must be seen under a microscope. You will need to collect a pinworm sample at home and bring it to a Laboratory Service Center.
You Will Need
- Pinworm collection kit with instructions
- Label with child’s full legal name, plus other information listed below.
How to Label the Specimen
- Child’s full legal name – complete first and last names correctly spelled
- One of the following unique identifiers:
- Date of sample collection (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Time of sample collection (please include A.M. or P.M.)
- Date of birth
- Patient’s ID or NCH medical record number
How to Collect the Sample
- Collect the sample early in the morning before your child uses the toilet or is bathed.
- Complete the label with the child’s full legal name, date of birth and date and time of collection. Attach the label to the plastic tube.
- Turn the child on his or her abdomen (tummy).
- Remove the paddle attached to the cap of the plastic tube.
- Use the sticky side of the paddle to collect the specimen.
- Spread the child’s buttocks. Press the sticky side of the paddle against the child’s rectal opening for a few seconds.
- Return the paddle to the plastic tube and cap tightly.
- Put the tube in the plastic bag and seal.
- Wash your hands with soap and running water.
Take the sample to a Laboratory Service Center on the same day that you collect it. You can leave your child’s sample at:
- Any Laboratory Service Center or Nationwide Children’s Close To Home™ Center during normal business hours. For business hours and locations, please call Laboratory Services at (800) 934-6575 or visit NationwideChildrens.org/Lab.
- Nationwide Children’s Outpatient Reference Laboratory located in the lower level at 555 S. 18th Street, Columbus, Ohio 43205. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. and Saturday, 8:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Admitting Department on main campus. Drop-off hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 P.M. to 11:30 P.M.
Please do not drop off stool specimens at the Emergency Department.
If you have any questions, please ask your child’s doctor or nurse.
For directions to the nearest Laboratory Service Center, please call Laboratory Services at (800) 934-6575 or visit NationwideChildrens.org/Lab.
HH-III-32 11/78 Revised 12/16 Copyright 1978 Nationwide Children’s Hospital