Honda Center for Gait Analysis and Mobility Enhancement
An analysis of your child’s gait (the way a person walks) is done at the Honda Center for Gait Analysis & Mobility Enhancement (GAME Center). Video, motion markers, force plates, and muscle activity are all examined in this test. This allows us to study the way your child walks and recommend things that may improve his or her gait and walking ability.
How to Prepare for the Test
- Your child should wear close-fitting clothes such as a bathing suit or spandex (stretchy) shorts and top. This allows us to see the motion of your child’s trunk, hips, legs and arms and to place the right markers.
- If your child wears leg braces while walking, make sure to bring the braces and the shoes worn with the braces to the appointment.
- Your child will be barefoot for part of the examination.
- You do not need to do or practice anything to get ready for this test.
- Be sure to tell the doctor if your child has any allergies.
- At the time of the test, your child should be free of any illness.
- Caregivers may stay with their child during the test.
How the Test is Done
Your child will first be examined by a physical therapist. The therapist will assess your child’s active and passive range of motion and strength. Sensors will then be placed on the skin. Your child will walk several times across the room. If your child wears leg braces while walking, his or her gait will be examined both with and without the braces. Occasionally, a very small needle, which will be placed by a physician, will be used to measure deep muscle activity. The test takes about 3 hours to complete. When it is over, the sensors will be removed.
You may select this link to go online and view our website for more information.
After the Test
Your child may eat his or her usual foods and return to usual activities.
The test results will be reviewed by the team who referred your child along with several gait specialists. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for the test results to be completed. When the report is ready, your child’s doctor will discuss with you the test results and the plan for medical care. If you want to see the video, please let us know and it will be available.
If you have any questions about the test, call the Honda Center for Gait Analysis & Mobility Enhancement at 614-355-GAIT (4248).
Appointment for Your Child’s Test
Honda Center for Gait Analysis and Mobility Enhancement (PDF)
HH-III-149 06/19 | Copyright 2019, Nationwide Children ’s Hospital