Helping Student-Athletes Reach Their Full Potential
Nationwide Children's Sports Medicine
The Leader For Student Athletes
Why is Sports Medicine Different for Kids?
Nationwide Children's Sports Medicine is a team of experts who specialize in the treatment and prevention of injuries unique to the student athlete. Your young athlete requires specialized care. Here’s why:
- Children have growth plates, so proper diagnosis and prompt treatment are critical to preventing long-term side effects.
- In young athletes, ligaments tend to be stronger than bones. This can predispose kids to certain types of fractures that do not happen to older athletes.
- Kids experience periods of rapid growth. Related to this, we see conditions unique to younger athletes.
- The psychology of the young athlete is unique. We know kids — what they think, how they feel, and what they need. The athletes' state of mind is as important as their level of fitness and skill.
Our staff of doctors, athletic trainers and physical therapists are trained to provide age-appropriate care for our patients. We emphasize the importance of early injury recognition and treatment in order to prevent recurring injuries. In addition to treatment, we partner with parents and coaches to focus on injury prevention, conditioning and age-appropriate activities.
Children and teens to age 18 require expert care, especially when they’re serious athletes. These kids are still growing. And their health care needs are unique.
Services We Offer
Services we offer include:
- Musculoskeletal injury evaluation and treatment
- Adaptive Sports Medicine
- Concussion evaluation and treatment
- Functional Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Sports Performance
- Sports Nutrition
- Partnerships with area school districts and organizations
To learn more about Nationwide Children's Sports Medicine, click the links below:
- Learn about our Personal Best Injury Prevention Programs and upcoming classes
- View our online sports medicine library
Meet Our Team
Our comprehensive team of specialists works closely with coaches, athletic trainers, primary care physicians and parents to deliver age-appropriate care designed to get athletes back in the game as quickly and safely as possible.
Community-based sports medicine services are closer to you than ever. Nationwide Children's Sports Medicine provides care at locations throughout Columbus and Central Ohio so you can get your athlete back in the game.
New: Sports Medicine services are now available at Reynoldsburg High School. Take a tour of the clinic online. Call (614) 355-6000 to request an appointment at this location.
- View photos of our Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Center
Inside Sports Medicine
Sports Medicine Locations
Nationwide Children's Sports Medicine provides care at several Columbus and central Ohio locations.
Sports Medicine Services
Nationwide Children’s Sports Medicine not only works to treat athletic injuries, but provides services to help prevent them altogether.
Sports Medicine FAQs
What is the best way to stay hydrated? When do I use ice? These are just some of our most frequently asked questions.
Sports Medicine in Schools and Organizations
When schools and organizations partner with us, they receive athletic training and access to comprehensive care from the leaders in sports medicine.
Sports Medicine Information for Healthcare Providers
Health care providers: Access quick references to injuries and illnesses that occur with growing athletes who you may encounter in your practice and at your job setting.
Information for Coaches
Coach: Find the resources you need for everything from advice on injuries, articles on injuries or conditions, locations, contact information, community education and more.
Sports Medicine Articles
Access helpful resources about about sports injury prevention, nutrition and more.
Sports Medicine Research
Researchers at Nationwide Children’s Hospital have conducted studies on sports injuries, functional body control, injury prevention and more.
Sports Medicine Internships
Nationwide Children's Sports Medicine offers internship programs for college undergraduates.
- Ankle Sprain
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear (ACL Tear)
- Cauliflower Ear
- Contusions Bruises
- Foot Sprain or Strain
- Hamstring Strain
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Knee Sprain
- Little League Elbow
- Low Back Strain
- Meniscus Injuries
- Osgood-Schlatter's Disease
- Osteochondritis Dissecans
- Patellar Subluxation
- Patellar Tendinitis
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis
- Sever's Disease
- Shin Splints
- Shoulder Sprain
- Stress Fractures
- Tennis Elbow
- Thigh and Hip Strains
- Wrist and Hand Sprains
Sports Medicine Online Scheduling
Does your child have a new injury or need a concussion evaluation? Schedule your Sports Medicine appointment online today.
Our new online scheduling tool allows you to view available appointments and conveniently choose the sports medicine physician, date and time that works best for you.