Iliotibial Band Syndrome
The Iliotibial Band (IT Band) is an extension of muscle located on the outside of the thigh. IT Band syndrome is a painful condition caused by overuse.
What Causes IT Band Syndrome?
- Activities such as running and bicycling
- Quickly increasing distances
- Biomechanical factors that can affect the IT Band
What Are the Symptoms of IT Band Syndrome?
- Pain on the outside of the knee or hip that becomes worse with activity.
- Some patients may feel a clicking or popping on the outside of the hip or knee.
- If the condition progresses, pain may be felt during rest times as well.
What Can I Do to Feel Better?
- Rest. Avoid things that cause pain.
- Ice for 15-20 minutes at a time will help decrease swelling and pain.
- Stretching of the muscles on the outside of the thigh and hamstrings
- Compression can be helpful to decrease swelling and pain.
When Should I See a Medical Professional?
- If the condition worsens.
- If rest, ice, and compression are not improving the condition.
- If you are uncertain about the severity of the condition.