What is Cauliflower Ear?
- Cauliflower ear is the result of a direct blow to the outer ear. Blood or other fluids fill the space in between and disrupts normal blood flow.
- The skin on the surface of the ear is the only blood supply for the cartilage. Without adequate blood flow, the cartilage is starved of vital nutrients. This can cause the tissue to become hard and fibrous, resulting in disfigurement.
What Are the Symptoms?
- Localized swelling and redness.
- Skin irritation- fluid may build up on the outer portion of the ear.
- This damage to the cartilage of the ear increases the risk of infection.
What Can I Do to Feel Better?
- Wear proper and well-fitting headgear appropriate for the specific sport.
- Ice for 15-20 minutes at a time will help decrease swelling and pain.
- Your doctor may be able to numb the ear and remove the fluid with a needle and syringe
When Should I See a Medical Professional?
- Due to the repetitive traumas, the potential for re-accumulation of blood is high. The best time to fix an ear in this condition is as soon as possible after injury.
- If you are uncertain about the severity of the condition.
Why Nationwide Children's?
The specialties of Plastic Surgery and Sports Medicine expertly care for children with cauliflower ear.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Acute Flaccid Myelitis: A New Treatment Option for AFM
Acute flaccid myelitis, or AFM, is a serious condition that affects the nervous system, causing weakness and paralysis in muscles. Thankfully, new treatments are being studied as doctors and scientists are learning more about AFM.
Safety Tips for Cheerleaders: Preventing Overuse Injuries
Because of the nature of practices, cheerleaders tend to see injuries similar to what dancers get. In this way, cheer athletes really should take care of, and prepare, their bodies for practice as a dancer would.
Marathon Training: Best Practices for Your Best Performance
In order to optimize your training, nutrition needs to be a regular component of the workout plan - period. Routine eating has to be a priority.