Spondylolysthesis and Spondylolysis
Spondylolysthesis and Spondylolysis are common causes of low back pain in adolescents.
What is Spondylolysis/Spondylisthesis?
- Common causes of low back pain in adolescents
- Spondylolysis is a stress fracture in the vertebrae of the low back
- Spondylolisthesis occurs when that stress fracture becomes weak and unable to maintain its position and the vertebra begins to shift
What Causes Spondylolysis/Spondylolisthesis?
- These injuries are common in adolescents who participate in activities that involve a great deal of low back extension such as football offensive linemen and gymnasts
What are the Symptoms of Spondylolysis/Spondylolisthesis?
- Varying degrees of low back pain, especially with extension
- Some patients may experience pain that shoots into their lower leg or buttocks.
- Pain that becomes progressively worse over time (back pain lasting longer than 2-3 weeks)
What Can I Do to Feel Better?
- Rest. Do not do things that cause pain.
- Ice for 15-20 minutes at a time will help decrease swelling and pain.
- Compression can be helpful to decrease swelling and pain.
When Should I See a Medical Professional?
- Back pain that lasts longer than 2-3 weeks.
- These injuries require a period of rest followed by specialized range of motion and strengthening exercises.
- If your child is complaining of back pain after activities, talk to your pediatrician or sports medicine specialist for further evaluation and treatment.
- If you are uncertain about the severity of the condition.
Spondylolysthesis Related Items
Limb Loss: Adapting to the Challenges and Reaching Milestones
A limb difference or deficiency involves accepting the appearance, battling body image concerns and learning to use adaptive prosthetic equipment.
Wrist and Hand Sprains
A sprain of the wrist and hand is a stretching or tearing of the ligaments which connect the bones together and provide stability. A wrist/hand sprain may occur from a direct blow to the area, falling on an outstretched hand, or an abrupt twist or hyperextension.
Unique Kettlebell Exercises: Adding Creativity to Strength Training
When it comes to training with kettlebells, it’s important to start at the beginning, learning the basics of the swing and squat. Without building up fundamental skills, technique will suffer and there is an increased risk of injury.