Orthodontics: Wearing Dental Elastics
Elastics are small rubber bands worn on your braces. They help move your teeth and bite into their best position. We will show you or your child how to place and remove the elastics. With practice, placing and removing elastics will become very easy.
The chart below will show you where you need to place your elastics.
- We will tell you how and when to wear your elastics.
- Replace your elastics often. If an elastic breaks, replace it as soon as possible.
- Keep extra elastics with you all the time.
- You will get elastics at each appointment. If you need more, ask the assistant.
- If you run out of elastics, call the clinic as soon as possible.
- Remove your elastics to eat, brush or floss. Put them back on when you are done.
- You can wear your elastics during activities, such as singing, dancing and playing sports.
- Take your elastics off when wearing a mouthguard. Put them back on after you remove the mouthguard.
If you have any questions, ask your child's orthodontist or assistant.
Orthodontics: Wearing Dental Elastics (PDF), Somali (PDF), Spanish (PDF)
HH-II-85 ©1984, revised 2020, Nationwide Children ’s Hospital