Applying for WIC for Teen Moms

Helping Hand Logo

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a food program. Federal grant money for WIC helps low-income women and their babies get:

  • Healthy food or formula
  • Health care referrals
  • Nutrition education

Congress only grants a certain amount of money each year for WIC programs. It is not a confirmed benefit. The program helps:

  • Pregnant women (WIC appointments every 3 months while pregnant)
  • Women breastfeeding until their baby is 1 year old
  • Women, not breastfeeding up to 6 months after a baby's birth
  • Babies until 1st birthday
  • Children up to their 5th birthday who have a nutrition risk

Applying for WIC

The following must all be met to be qualified for the WIC program:

  • Category: pregnant woman, breast or bottle-feeding an infant, or child under age 5
  • Residence: you must live in Ohio if applying for WIC in Ohio
  • Income: see the Ohio WIC Program Income Guidelines chart below.
  • Nutrition Risk: a doctor, nurse or dietitian will state the need

The Teen and Pregnant (TaP) Clinic staff can help you get started. If you are pregnant, a TaP patient, and not already signed up with WIC, TaP will schedule your first appointment at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital WIC office.

  • The Nationwide Children’s Hospital WIC office is in Livingston Ambulatory Building (LAC), at 370 Butterfly Gardens Drive.
  • If you need to change your appointment or have questions call (614) 722-2685. You have a better chance of talking to someone if you call first thing in the morning. If no one answers, please leave a message.

Changing Your WIC Location

If you want to change what WIC location you go to, ask one of the Tap dietitians. They can help you find WIC contact information for an office closer to your home.

If you decide to change your WIC location, your card will not work for 24 hours. Once it is moved and started in the new location, you will be able to use it again. 

What You Will Need to Apply for WIC When Pregnant

  • Something with your current address on it (like a bill or another piece of mail).
  • Pregnancy verification letter. TaP will provide this if you are a patient. If you are not a TaP patient, your health care provider can give you a letter stating that you are pregnant.
  • Your insurance card. If you do not have Medicaid, Molina CareSource, Buckeye or United Health Care Community plan you will need a current month of pay stubs for your household.
  • A legal guardian if you are under the age of 18.

After Your Baby is Born

After your baby is born, please call your WIC clinic to schedule an appointment for both you and your baby. You may only continue to go to the Nationwide Children’s WIC office if your child is seen at Children’s Primary Care or in one of the specialty clinics.

What You Need to Apply for WIC for Your Baby

  • WIC Prescription - if your baby is on a special formula you can get this from a TaP dietitian or your baby’s health care provider.
  • Baby’s Health Insurance Card - if you do not have Medicaid, Molina, CareSource, Buckeye or United Health Care Community plan you will need a current month of pay stubs for your household.
  • Income Record - this is a statement showing your household income for the last 30 days.
  • Proof of Current Address - a bill or another piece of mail that contains current address.
  • Proof of Baby’s Birth - the “crib card” from the birth hospital or baby’s birth certificate.

Ohio WIC Program Income Guidelines

WIC income guidelines are updated each year. Visit this website for updates.

Other Nationwide Children's WIC Locations and Phone Numbers

Northland Primary Care

4650 Morse Center Rd.

Columbus, OH 43229



Eastland Primary Care 

2599 S. Hamilton Rd. 

Columbus, OH 43232



Whitehall Primary Care 

561 S. Yearling Rd.

Whitehall, OH 43213



Westside Primary Care

411 Industrial Mile Rd.

Columbus, OH  43228



Applying for WIC for Teen Moms (PDF)

HH-45 © 2016, revised 2020, Nationwide Children ’s Hospital