If your child has had a serious dental injury, it is important to follow-up with your child’s dentist.
Why follow-up is so important
- We may not be sure of the outcome of a dental injury for a few months.
- Even if the tooth does not hurt right after the injury, it may still need treatment and check-ups.
- If a patient does not follow up, permanent damage to the tooth, or even tooth loss, may occur.
- When a child with a dental injury receives timely care and proper treatment, the chance of tooth loss is reduced.
- It is very important for all tooth injuries to be diagnosed and treated as soon as the child can be seen.
- With prompt and proper follow-up care by a dentist, future problems, such as pain, infection, loss of teeth, and high-cost treatments may be prevented.
For more information, please contact the Dental Clinic at (614) 722-5650.
HH-I-322 12/09, Revised 04/19 | Copyright 2009, Nationwide Children’s Hospital