Inpatient motility (1 month block)
- Admit all motility patients and arrange plan of care with attending.
- Write admission notes and follow-up on clean-out and care during At- Home Call and Saturday rounds (not to exceed 80 hours per week).
- Sign out all motility patients on a daily basis to the motility fellow on call and GI residents on call.
- Prepare patient for OR / procedures (consent, catheters, NPO status, antibiotics, etc.), if needed and follow patient to IR.
- Call schedule includes being available by beeper
- Review motility tracing with the in-charge attending and discuss results with the team
- Present results to family as a team with attending
- Present the cases on Friday morning
- Attend IR procedures (cecostomy)
Outpatient / Consult / Impedance (1 month block)
- 3 half days of clinic every week with Dr. Di Lorenzo, Dr. Mousa and Dr. Punati (to include gastric pacing, and motility)
- Admit and follow all impedance patients
- Manage motility / impedance consults from inpatient services or ED
- Follow-up patients with rumination with Psychologist, Dr. Anthony Alioto and attending
- 2 half days of each week will be devoted to research and writing
- Expectation to have the research idea by end August, abstract by early December and one completed and another prospective paper in progress by the end of the year
- Submit internal grant application by the end of September
Acquiring the skills to perform motility testing
The minimum number of each diagnostic motility test that a trainee must perform to attain the cognitive skills required to perform the test effectively are listed below:
|Study Type||Threshold # for competence|
|Esophageal pH monitoring||20|
|Fiber endoscopic study of swallowing||5|
|Interpretation of video swallowing studies||20|
|Barostat studies (if interested)||10|
|Interpretation of significance of scintigraphic measurement of gastric emptying||20|
|Anorectal motility studies||20|
|Injection of botulinum toxin in the pyloric channel||5|
|Treatment of anal achalasia with Botulinum toxin injection||5|
Didactic and Conference Attendance
- Fellows are required to attend all motility lectures except when they have approved time away
- Competency Core lectures (If not completed during residency)
- Weekly Clinical and Translational Research Seminar Series