Pediatric Radiology Cardiac Fellowship
Nationwide Children’s Hospital offers a one-year Pediatric Radiology Cardiac Fellowship that focuses on the development of reproducible and cost-effective imaging biomarkers for common cardiovascular entities in children.
The Pediatric Radiology Cardiac Fellowship is a combined program with the Department of Pediatric Radiology, the Section of Pediatric Cardiology and the Department of Pediatrics at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. The full spectrum of pediatric cardiovascular MR is performed, including neonatal imaging, complex 2-ventricle repair, and all stages of single ventricle repair, aeropathy, thrombosis, cardiomyopathy, perfusion and viability.
The fellows will have extensive hands-on experience in planning, performance, post-processing and interpretation of the exams, are active participants in management conferences and in the research program, and present at several major national and international meetings every year.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital recognizes fellowship training are challenging years of professional growth. We are committed to making these the best years of your medical education and to meeting your expectations for a high quality learning experience.
What You Need to Know
- One of America’s largest Children’s hospitals with 608 beds
- Over 1.2 million patient visits a year
- One of the largest cardiovascular imaging programs in North America with 1000 CMR and cardiac CT studies a year
- Combined program by the Department of Radiology and the Section of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics
- Staffed by 6 attending, 2 medical imaging scientists, 3 analysts, and 2 cardiac imaging fellows, one each from cardiology & radiology
- Full spectrum of Pediatric Cardiovascular MR is performed
- Neonatal Imaging
- Complex 2 ventricle repair
- All stages of single ventricle repair
- Perfusion & Viability
- Vascular Anomalies
- Scanning on 3 different MR scanners with unique capabilities for cardiovascular imaging: multi-vendor, 1.5T and 3T experience.
- Pediatric Cardiovascular CT program based on volumetric and dynamic approach using a 320-detector scanner
- Dynamic airway evaluations
- Neonatal imaging
- Preoperative Planning for single ventricle repair
- Post-operative imaging
- Fellows are active participants in case management conferences
- Dedicated research magnet with access to large animal imaging. Research pathways include sedation reduction, synthetic graft development, image phenotyping and 3D modeling/printing
- Family-friendly Midwest with excellent quality of life
The fellow’s training will include all aspects of pediatric cardiovascular MRI and CT including familiarity with specific MR and CT protocols required. MR areas of coverage will include complex two-ventricle repair, single ventricle repair, cardiomyopathies, aortopathies, thrombosis, as well as perfusion and viability imaging. Cardiovascular CT training will include post-operative imaging, preoperative planning scans, dynamic airway evaluation, and coronary anomalies.
The fellow will be exposed to a broad range of topics in the subspecialty, not limited to but as outlined above under Curriculum. The fellow will spend most of their time in the cardiovascular imaging section. Yes, Research is required.
Fellows will be required to attend:
- Departmental noon conference, daily
- Multidisciplinary Cardiac Conference Wednesdays 7:00 AM, weekly
- Journal Club, monthly
Welcome to the inspirational Nationwide Children’s Hospital! The Pediatric Radiology Cardiac Fellowship program at Nationwide Children’s Hospital is one of the leading pediatric fellowship programs in central Ohio.
We are more than a hospital. We are one of America’s largest pediatric health care and research centers delivering care for more than one million patient visits each year. Families travel from around the nation and around the globe to access life-saving treatments – many unavailable anywhere else.
Nationwide Children's believes that no child should be refused necessary care and attention for lack of ability to pay. Upon this fundamental belief, Nationwide Children's is committed to providing the highest quality: Patient Care; Advocacy for children and families and Pediatric Research; Education of patients, families and future providers; and Outstanding Service to accommodate the needs of patients and families.
Stephen M. Druhan, MD
Application & Selection
The fellowship is open to radiology trainees who have completed at least a one-year pediatric radiology fellowship, or an adult thoracic or cardiac imaging fellowship.
Candidate must provide the following items by email to Allison.Begue@NationwideChildrens.org or mail them to the address below.
- Completed application
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference (one should be from your Program Director)
- Copy of Medical School Diploma
Stephen M. Druhan, MD
Department of Radiology
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43205
Salary & Benefits
Our Fellows are hospital employees, and as such, they are eligible for the same benefits other full-time staff receive (with the exception of paid time off, which is outlined.) Learn more about Fellowship benefits.
For more information regarding the Fellowship, please contact:
Stephen M. Druhan, MD
From a 12-week embryo to a full-grown teenager, our radiology team recognizes the unique differences in pediatric patients. We use the latest technology including interventional radiology, 3D printing, and low-dose radiation standards to care for your child.Learn More