The Biopathology Center (BPC) Core, provides a full range of services to in-house investigators interested in establishing or enhancing current biospecimen banking efforts. The biorepository-based efforts available to investigators include:
Biospecimen Processing and Storage
- Solid tissue processing (i.e., snap frozen or OCT embedded, formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded
- Blood/blood product processing and aliquoting (i.e., plasma, serum, white blood cells)
- Body fluid processing and aliquoting (e.g., urine, cerebrospinal fluid)
- Assessment of biospecimen quality (e.g., pathology review of solid tissue samples to confirm presence or absence of tumor)
Biospecimen Storage Modalities
- Cold storage: Vapor phase of liquid nitrogen and mechanical refrigeration units of various temperature ranges (e.g., -80°C freezers, -20°C freezers, and 4°C refrigerators)
- Ambient/room temperature storage
- Continuous monitoring of storage temperature (e.g., Mesa environmental monitoring system used for cold storage units).
- Preparation of biospecimens for distribution include preparation of biospecimen distribution manifest, and assessment of biospecimen quality
- Shipping frozen, ambient, and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded biospecimens in accordance with International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations (technicians are IATA certified)
- Local transportation arranged via courier
- Administrative and laboratory infrastructure that supports a wide variety of biobanking-based activities
- QA/QC policies and standard operating procedures that align with those mandated by our institution (NCH), required by local, state, and federal regulations, and endorsed by the College of America Pathologists Biorepository Accredidation Program (CAP BAP), as well as those recommended by the NCI Best Practices for Biospecimen Resources and the ISBER Best Practices for Repositories.
The BPC Core has established workflows with the Morphology Core, the Nucleic Acid Core, well as any other in-house Core facilities. For more information on the BPC or to inquire about services, please contact Tommy Liszkay at Thomas.liszkay@NationwideChildrens.org or (614) 355-3547.