The Research Institute is dedicated to enhancing the health of children by engaging in high-quality, cutting-edge research. This includes developing promising new technologies to advance the practice of pediatrics and general health care. The Office of Technology Commercialization facilitates the transfer of innovations to external partners for the benefit of our community and the general public.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to the most common questions around technology commercialization.
Our team is ready to help take your ideas and innovations and translate them into the commercial sector.
News and Announcements
Stay up to date with the latest news coming out of the Office of Technology Commercialization.
Technology Development Fund
The Technology Development Fund will provide pre-commercial development support for fast-track proof of concept development/validation work.
Office of Technology Commercialization staff are ready to assist you determining the commercial potential of your in inventions, ideas, technologies and research. Our experts will lead you through the following steps.
- Cutting-edge research leads to the generation of novel ideas.
- An invention disclosure is submitted to OTC.
- OTC meets with the inventor to gather additional information and also reviews any third-party encumbrances associated with the disclosed technology.
- OTC performs a technology assessment and determines the patentability, market potential, and readiness of the technology for commercialization.
- A decision is made to: a) actively market the technology via direct and/or indirect marketing approaches, b) delay a final decision regarding the technology until additional information is produced, or c) not move the technology forward due to lack of commercial viability.
- Part of the commercialization plan for a technology moving forward often includes an IP protection strategy (Patent, Copyright, Trademark).
- OTC oversees the marketing of the technology and identifies a viable commercial partner.
- OTC manages the out-licensing of technologies to either an existing company, or to an entrepreneurial partner to establish a new venture.
- OTC is responsible for all post-license alliance management, license compliance, and distribution of royalties.
Transfer to Transform
When our doctors, nurses, researchers and other staff members have an idea, they head to our office. Together, we take these ideas and innovations and translate them into the commercial sector, bringing about new patents, startup companies, inventions, etc.