When summer comes to an end, children get ready to go back to school. This is a great time for parents to talk to their kids about how to safely travel to and from school. Following a few safety tips can help prevent children from suffering serious injuries.
School Bus Safety Tips
- Children riding the bus to school should learn and practice a few safety rules for getting on and off the bus.
- Get to the bus stop early. Do not run to the bus.
- Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before walking toward it.
- If crossing the street, wait for a signal from the bus driver. Look both ways to make sure there is no moving traffic from either direction.
- Always cross in front of the bus so the driver can see you.
- If the bus has lap and shoulder belts, use them.
- Once the bus is in motion, remain in your seat.
- If the window is open, keep your arms and head inside the bus at all times.
- Do not stand up to get off the bus until it has completely stopped.
- Only get off the bus at your assigned spot.
- Children should only walk to school alone if they are old enough and ready to make the walk safely.
- Children are not ready to walk to school without an adult until they are at least 10 years old.
- Younger kids cannot be trusted to make smart traffic choices on their own.
- Plan and practice a safe walking route with your child until she knows it well.
- Use streets with sidewalks, crosswalks and crossing guards. Avoid as many intersections as possible.
- Have children walk with a friend or in a group.
- Talk to your child about what to do if they are approached by a stranger.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Drivers should be aware of children walking to school or to the bus stop. Everyone can follow a few safety tips to help kids get to school safely.
- When backing out of the driveway, watch for children walking to school or to a bus stop.
- On streets without crossing guards, watch out for children trying to cross the street.
- Be careful on streets without sidewalks or streets with on-street parking. It might be hard to notice a child behind a car.
- Be alert. Children may dart into the street without looking.
- Slow down.
Obey school bus laws. In Ohio, all drivers must stop at least 10 feet from a bus that is picking up or dropping off kids.