Center for Child Health Equity and Outcomes Research
The mission of the Center for Child Health Equity and Outcomes Research is to advance child health and wellbeing through research in and across clinical care, health services, health policy and community initiatives. Our partners consist of Partners For Kids, Population Health and Wellness, Primary Care Network, Stand Against Racism, Medical & Surgical Specialties, Communities, health care organizations, academic institutions, and government agencies and policymakers.
We aspire to lead the nation in groundbreaking research that produces:
- Equitable and best outcomes for all children
- Vibrant communities
- Flourishing families
Investigators at the Center develop and test new health service delivery systems in partnership with pediatricians and Nationwide Children's Hospital to succeed in the following goals.
Partnering with the Hospital and other pediatric organizations to identify opportunities to improve care for children and families at risk.
Developing new or modify existing information or communication technologies for implementation in pediatric healthcare settings.
Testing the cost-effectiveness of such technologies in improving care.
Center Research Focuses on Improving Care
For children and adolescents with depression or suicidal ideation
For children and adolescents with clotting disorders
For children and adolescents with drug use
For children and adolescents without routine preventive care services
Collaborations and Partnerships
- Section of Adolescent Medicine
- Behavioral Health
- Healthy Neighborhoods, Healthy Families
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- The Ohio State University College of Nursing
- The Ohio State University College of Public Health
- Partners for Kids
- Pediatric Health Equity Collaborative
- University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry
Enhancing the training of future population health and equity researchers is a priority for the center, and CPHER regularly recruits for and helps contribute to the following training engagement programs:
At Nationwide Children's Hospital
- Patient-Centered Pediatric Research Program (post-doctoral research fellowship)
- Clinical Fellowship in Quality and Safety Leadership
- Academic General Pediatrics Fellowship (clinical fellowship)
- Futures Matter: Transformative Transdisciplinary Summer Research Program (NICHD R25, High School Diversity Enhancing Mentoring Program)
At The Ohio State University
- Interdiscplinary Training in Health Development (NINR T32, College of Nursing pre-doctoral fellowship)
- Medical Scientist Training Program (NIH/NIGMS, College of Medicine MD-PhD program)
Meet Our Team
Learn more about director Deena Chisolm, PhD, and her team of principal investigators at the Center for Child Health Equity and Outcomes Research.
The Center for Surgical Outcomes Research (CSOR)
The mission of CSOR is to improve children's' care through a comprehensive, patient-centered surgical outcomes research program to determine the optimal management of surgical diseases in children.
Meet Deena Chisolm, PhD
Through the center, Dr. Chisolm and her team have been able to improve health equity by identifying where there are inequities and sharing them with the people who have a role in reducing them.