The Sports Medicine Department at Nationwide Children's Hospital offers athletic training students who are currently enrolled in a CAATE accredited athletic training education program the opportunity to enhance their clinical education through a hands-on internship experience.
The purpose of the program is to:
- Educate the athletic training student on the various roles of health care professionals in the field of pediatric athletic training and sports medicine.
- Expose the athletic training student to the role of a clinical certified athletic trainer working with pediatric and adolescent athletes.
- Provide the athletic training student with hands-on experience in the clinical environment as a physician extender in pediatric sports medicine.
What are the qualifications for the Pediatric Sports Medicine Athletic Training Internship Program?
- All students interested in applying for the program must be accepted and currently enrolled in a CAATE accredited athletic training program.
- The student’s home university must have an affiliation agreement on file with Nationwide Children's Hospital. If the student’s university does not have an agreement with Nationwide Children's Hospital, this can be coordinated prior to the student’s start date, should they be accepted as an intern.
- Complete and submit the required application materials.
- We STRONGLY suggest students complete coursework in upper and lower extremity evaluation and rehabilitation prior to application.
Pediatric Sports Medicine Athletic Training Internship Timeline
The start and end dates for our internship are very flexible in order to best fit the student’s schedules. We do, however, try to stay within the following terms:
- Fall Term: August- November
- Application deadline: June 30th
- Spring Term: March-June
- Application deadline: November 1st
- Application deadline: March 1st