Effective communication in public health has never been more important. In today’s crowded media climate, it can be challenging to break through to the audience you are trying to reach. Come learn the skills you need to share research, promote programs, and create safer, healthier communities through the media and social media.
The Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital is hosting a virtual 3-day Summer Media Institute for public health professionals July 12-14, 2022. Participants who complete all three sessions will receive a Media & Social Media for Public Health Certificate.
The workshop presenters have been featured in media outlets around the world and have created local and national outreach campaigns. Their expertise includes behind-the-scenes media planning, on-air interviews, working with reporters, and using social media for public health.
The Summer Media Institute is designed for public health professionals who:
- Are new to developing or managing media outreach campaigns
- Have some experience developing or managing media outreach plans and granting interviews or training others
- Manage social media to promote organizations and health behaviors
Let the media experts at the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital show you:
- How to make your message newsworthy
- How to make your message attractive to a media outlet
- How to work with the media
- How to connect with the audience you want
- How to create an outreach plan
Let the media experts at the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital help you practice:
- How to master your message
- How to prepare for a media interview
- A mock interview, and provide feedback
- How to pitch your story
- Writing, critiquing, and figuring out what to do with a press release
Let the public health social media experts at the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital show you how to:
- Choose which social media channels to use
- Plan posts and create messaging
- Set goals and track engagement
- Use visuals and promotional tools
- Plan for staffing, costs, and other resources
- Handle crisis management
- Click here to register for the Summer Media Institute.
- The cost to register is $99 per person.
- Scholarships are available. Please email us to inquire.
Logistics & Details
- The Summer Media Institute will be held on Zoom from 1-5 p.m. ET July 12-14, 2022.
- The Summer Media Institute is an interactive workshop. As such, it will not be recorded. Participation (videos and mics) is highly encouraged throughout.
- Registration includes a one hour one-on-one consultation with workshop leaders to be scheduled after the Summer Media Institute before the end of the year.
- Please click here to download a one-page PDF agenda.
- Ten (10) entry-level CECH credits are available for CHES members
For questions or to be added to our mailing list for updates on these and future course offerings, please email us.