DUE TO COVID-19, WE WILL BE HOLDING A VIRTUAL 2020 - 2021 INTERVIEW SEASON.
If you're a graduate of an accredited U.S. or Canadian medical school, please submit your application through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). If applying for one of our categorical positions (combined Peds/Neuro five-year program), you do not have to apply separately to pediatrics - we will share your application with pediatrics. You will receive email communication through ERAS from Nicole Norris, our Child Neurology program coordinator, to notify you of your application status. We support the ABPN-approved research pathway (12 months pediatrics, 36 months neurology, 12 months research) for applicants with significant research experience who wish to pursue a research career in academic medicine. If you are interested in this pathway, please indicate so in your application in communication with Nicole Norris.
International Graduates Policy for Pediatrics
For consideration in the combined Peds/Neuro five-year program, all physicians who have graduated from medical schools outside of the United States or Canada must have completed one year of postgraduate training in an accredited pediatric or IM/PEDS residency training program in the United States or Canada since graduation from medical school and prior to submitting an application for residency training at our hospital. ECFMG accreditation is highly recommended.
Foreign medical graduates are expected to have a J1 visa. Exceptions to this visa requirement must be approved by the Designated Institutional Official, the program director, and the Senior Vice President - Human Resources in advance of the match and/or letter of offer. In addition, all applicants must be eligible to participate in the National Residency Matching Program. Exceptions to these requirements may be considered for very highly qualified applicants, generally with USMLE score average >240.
Required Application Materials
Please Note: Materials MUST be sent through ERAS.
- CAF (Common application form)
- Three letters of recommendation (chairman's letter is optional)
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
- Personal statement
How to Arrange an Interview
After your application has been reviewed in ERAS, you will receive an email through ERAS from Nicole Norris indicating the status of your application. If invited for an interview, specific instructions will be included on how to arrange your interview. Please contact Nicole Norris at (614) 722-4608 or Nicole.Norris@NationwideChildrens.org with any questions related to the combined program interview experience.
When to Interview
Interview season runs from mid-October through mid-January. Specific dates will be included in the email invitation when invited. Interviews for categorical Child Neurology positions are conducted over two days. The first day will be with Neurology followed by a day with Pediatrics. Attached is an example of how the neurology interview day will be organized.
- The maximum number of interviews scheduled each day for Child Neurology is six. All applicants will interview with Division Chief Dr. Anne Connolly, Program Director Dr. Margie Ream, Associate Program Director Dr. Dara Albert, as well as a representative from pediatrics.
- If there are additional specific faculty members you would like to meet with, please let us know. We will attempt to accommodate such requests.
- If you are applying for the ABPN-approved research pathway please notify Nicole Norris when scheduling your interview.
- December is usually the busiest month for interviewing.
- Please submit your application through ERAS as soon as possible to allow plenty of time for us to review your file and schedule your interview. If you need to cancel an interview, please do so as early as possible to allow another applicant to interview.