WIC is a federally-funded food coupon program. It helps low-income, pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are medically or nutritionally at risk get food or formula.

Who qualifies?

A person who currently gets Medicaid, food stamps or Ohio Works First (OWF) can get WIC. Those who do not receive government assistance will follow annual gross income guidelines based on  family size. You will be required to produce current pay stubs (3), W-2 forms or a written  letter/statement from your employer/agency.

Who can tell me more about the program?

The social worker on your unit, the diet tech or dietitian, the case manager or discharge planner all can answer your questions.

Helpful Hints:

How can I sign up for WIC?

  • You can go to the WIC office at Nationwide Children’s for your first appointment, if you’d like.

  • Your social worker, dietitian, or diet tech can give you an application to fill out ahead of time. They can take it to the WIC office for you.

  • When you know your discharge date, you or a staff member can call the WIC office and make an appointment. You can usually get your WIC coupons the same day.

  • If you go to another WIC office after your baby is discharged, you may be asked to bring in your baby for the appointment. For medically fragile babies, we can give you a letter so your baby does not have to go in.

Where is the Nationwide Children’s WIC office?

  • WIC is in Outpatient Care on the 3rd floor (Primary Care)

  • The phone number is (614) 722-2685 (option 1)

What do I need to bring?

  • Your baby’s WIC prescription (for special formulas) with:

    • Weight

    • Length

    • Head circumference

    • Hemoglobin/hematocrit levels

    • Health card

    • Income record (pay detail)

    • Proof of address

    • “Crib card” from baby’s bed

    • Custody papers (if a foster parent)