The Exercise Physiology Internship at Nationwide Children's Hospital offers specialized training in exercise testing and cardiac rehabilitation as it pertains to pediatrics and congenital heart disease. The internship consists primarily of hands on experience with treadmill VO2 max and EKG stress tests. Patients seen in the exercise lab include pediatric patients with congenital disease, rhythm issues, or cardiac symptoms, as well as adult patients with congenital cardiac defects. Cardiac rehabilitation consists of one-on-one sessions with both the pediatric and adult populations with congenital or acquired heart disease. Generally, one to two cardiac rehab patients are scheduled per day. The intern will work in a team atmosphere with multi-skilled individuals to provide high quality patient care.
Intern Responsibilities and Skills:
- Set up equipment for exercise test
- Prepare patient for maximal exercise test
- Measure vital signs to include resting and exercise BP’s, HR, VO2, RER, etc.
- Run Vmax equipment and Case machine with assistance from exercise physiologist
- Analyze resting and exercise EKGs
- Understand basic exercise physiology and congenital heart defect anatomy
- Design exercise prescriptions and daily workouts for cardiac rehabilitation and home exercise programs
- Guide patients through their Cardiac Rehab exercise sessions
- Other Non-Invasive Diagnostics observations include inpatient/outpatient EKG’s, echocardiograms, and cardiac surgery
To apply, please complete the form below and email your resume to email@example.com.