Raising children isn’t always easy.
Would you like to feel less stressed and feel confident that you are raising happy, confident kids?
The Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) gives parents new ideas and a chance to meet other parents. This program is for parents and caregivers of children 0 to 8 years old. It helps parents manage behavior and address problem behaviors. Perhaps it’s your toddler’s supermarket meltdowns… or nightly bedtime battles with your daughter… or your son’s disobedience or aggression. We give tips on how to settle the problem – quickly and calmly!
We won’t tell you how to parent. But we will give you simple, practical strategies you can adapt to suit your family’s values, beliefs and needs. Because we know happier families lead to better relationships... and successful kids!
Triple P Sessions
We offer 2-hour small group discussions and 8-week courses. All sessions are free and at no cost.
Small Group Discussions
You can attend any of the small group discussions below. These two-hour small group discussions target a specific problem or topic, such as:
Dealing with Disobedience
Get tips on how to get kids to listen and follow directions—and what to do when they don’t.
Hassle-Free Shopping with Children
See how to plan for easy, calm trips out in public and how to deal when kids act up.
Managing Fighting and Anger
Learn strategies for teaching kids to solve problems and get along with others.
Developing Good Bedtime Routines
Get advice on getting your kid to go to bed—and staying there.
The 8-week course typically consists of five in-person group sessions and three one-on-one coaching/practice sessions over the phone.
This course covers:
- The power of positive parenting techniques
- What causes kids’ behaviors
- Setting goals for change
- Tips on how to reconnect with your child and build your positive relationship
- Giving directions kids are likely to follow
- Recognizing progress and planning for the future
Each participant will have one-on-one phone/in-person sessions with the group leaders to make the information really work for their families.
Why Triple P?
Triple P helps you:
- Raise happy, confident kids
- Prevent and address problem behavior so everyone in the family enjoys life more
- Set rules and routines that everyone respects and follows
- Encourage behavior you like
- Take care of yourself as a parent
- Feel confident that you’re doing the right thing
What Happens in a Triple P Session?
- Each session consists of video clips, group discussions, activities and role-playing.
- You’ll meet with a Triple P provider and learn from other parents and group leaders.
- Your provider will give you tips for dealing with your child’s problem behavior in a relaxed environment.
- You’ll hear from other parents and get a chance to share your thoughts and ideas.
- You’ll develop plans to prevent and address problem behaviors, encourage positive behavior and manage misbehavior.
- You’ll receive a take-home workbook with simple exercises and information to practice your new strategies at home.
Positive Parenting Benefits
Research shows that children who grow up with positive parenting:
- Do better at school
- Build friendships
- Feel good about themselves
Parents who use these skills:
- Are often less stressed
- Are often less depressed
- Have less conflict with their partners over parenting issues
View Upcoming Workshops And Group Sessions
The Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) gives parents new skills to raise confident, healthy children and to build stronger family relationships. It helps parents prevent problems from occurring in the first place and manage misbehavior.
This program is available in central Ohio as individual workshops or an eight-week group series. It is the most extensively studied, evidence-based parenting program.
How is Triple P different from other parenting programs?
Triple P is different because it is not a ‘one size fits all’ program. Triple P doesn’t tell parents how to parent. Rather, it gives them simple and practical strategies they can adapt to suit their own values, beliefs and needs.
What is the Triple P format and structure?
Triple P can be presented as individual workshops or as an eight-week series.
- Individual workshops are 2 hour, small group discussions that target a specific problem or topic, such as:
- Dealing with disobedience
- Managing fighting and aggression
- Hassle-free shopping with children
- Developing good bedtime routines
- The eight-week series consists of five 2-hour group sessions held weekly. Parents receive additional support with three weeks (weeks 5 through 7).of phone call coaching/practice sessions at home.
These groups are interactive in nature and include videos and a take-home workbook to help engage parents and reinforce strategies.
No referral to Nationwide Children’s Hospital Behavioral Health Intake is required for your patient families to enroll in Triple P. Have them register by emailing TripleP@NationwideChildrens.org.