We are so excited you have chosen to come to BC4Teens. The first visit is a great chance for us to get to know you and provide you with the birth control of your choice.
Plan to spend between 60-90 minutes with us on your first visit. During that time we will discuss the following:
- Your history. We will ask you about your periods, any previous pregnancies and current or past sexually transmitted infections, as well as other OB/GYN history.
- The first day of your last period. We will have a calendar for you to look at to mark the date.
- Tell us about birth control methods you have tried in the past. We want to hear about all of it!
- Bring a list of current medicines, vitamins and supplements you are using. This will help us learn about you and helps select the best birth control method for you.
- We will also ask you for a urine sample. We must make sure you are not pregnant before starting birth control.
- We will provide you with your birth control method of choice, when medically eligible.
Your privacy is the very important to us. A parent or guardian is required to attend your first visit; however, the sensitive questions and topics that we will be discussing will all be done in a confidential and private setting.
After we get to know you, we will discuss the different methods of birth control. We call this contraceptive counseling. We will share the inside scoop on a wide variety of birth control options, including the implant, IUDs, shot, pills, patch ring and emergency contraception.
Once you receive all the right information and your questions are answered, it is up to you to select the method that you feel best suits your lifestyle. Your counselor will discuss your chosen method with your doctor or nurse. When possible, you can even get same day procedures for implants and IUDs.