Healing Children Through Leisure and Recreational Activity
At Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists use a unique skill set designed to help children, teens, young adults and their families develop and use leisure in ways that enhance their health, functional abilities, independence and quality of life.
Therapeutic Recreation Benefits
- Adaptive bike evaluation
- Adaptive recreation skills
- Adjustment to disability
- Animal assisted therapy
- Attention, memory, perception, orientation
- Assertiveness training/communication
- Cardiovascular and respiratory functioning
- Chemical dependency education
- Community re-entry
- Community resource education
- Coping and life skills
- Developmental leisure skills
- Diabetes exercise education
- Leisure education
- Physical conditioning and exercise activity/fitness
- Pain management
- Recreation participation
- Strength endurance
- Stress management/coping skills
- Time management
- Wellness training
Therapeutic Recreation maintains both inpatient and outpatient clinics on the main campus of Nationwide Children’s Hospital, as well as at other locations in Ohio. Please note the locations below and follow the links for maps and directions.
For clinic questions, call the main Clinical Therapies clinic number at (614) 722-2200.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
Inpatient (Acute Care) and Outpatient Services
Physician referrals are required for inpatient and outpatient care.
We partner with many departments and programs to offer therapeutic recreation services, including, but not limited to:
- Behavioral Health
- The Heart Center
- General Pediatrics
- Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition (Rumination/Bariatric)
- Hematology, Oncology & BMT
Therapeutic Recreation Conference
Due to social distancing restrictions related to COVID-19, the 2020 Therapeutic Recreation Conference has been cancelled.
While we are disappointed we cannot provide this educational program, we plan to return in 2022 and hope you will be able to attend.