The Futures Matter Program is an eight-week paid summer research internship on the campus of Abigail Wexner Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
Six high school students are placed with researchers to gain hands-on science experience while exploring various careers in biomedical research.
During the program, interns have the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities that enrich their summer experience, including discussions and seminars lead by faculty and trainees.
Applications For The 2021 Program Are Now Open
2021 Program Dates
The Futures Matter Program is a full-time, paid internship program experience. Participants must be available for approximately 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday, from June 7 through Aug. 6.
- Placement Orientation: TBA
- Hospital Orientation: Monday, June 10
- Start date: Monday, June 7
- End date: Friday, Aug. 6
Students must be available for Hospital Orientation on Monday, June 10, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., to participate in the program.
- Interest in a biomedical research career
- Ability to meet demands of the full-time program
- Ability to work independently
- Sophomore, Junior or Senior in high school
- 16 years of age or older
Underrepresented minority, economically disadvantaged and/or disabled students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Transportation and lodging are not provided.
News And Announcements
Due to COVID-19, the Futures Matter Summer Program was cancelled for summer 2020. We look forward to bringing the program back in 2021. We will make sure to keep the most up to date information on this webpage.
The 2019 End of Summer Poster Competition was held on Aug. 2, 2019. Congratulations to all our participants!
High School Winner
- Evan Bernard – Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Gunn Lab
High School Awards of Distinction
- Alexander Abreo – Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Partida-Sanchez Lab
- Evan Johnson – Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Partida-Sanchez Lab
- Adenola Atekoja – Center for Innovation in Pediatric Practice, Chisolm Lab
- Ricky Chau – Center for Childhood Cancer, Wang Lab
- Thomas Breuer – Center for Regenerative Medicine, Shinoka Lab
- Alex Cash – Center for Gene Therapy, Harper Lab
Undergrad Awards of Distinction
- Kolapo Dairo – Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Bakaletz Lab
- Hannah Kim – Center for Vaccines & Immunity, Ramilo Lab
- Anthony Moussa – Institute for Genomic Medicine, Wilson Lab
- Alexandria Wang – Center for Gene Therapy, Meyer Lab
- Louie Kamal-Abusalha – Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Bakaletz Lab
Medical Students Winner
- Danielle Scerbo – Center for Perinatal Research – Backes Lab
Medical Student Awards of Distinction
- Alex Danielson – Center for Regenerative Medicine – Chiang Lab
- Spencer Gardner – Adolescent Medicine – MATA Clinic