Athletes in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon lucked out with weather conditions, but it wasn’t luck that broke the following Columbus Marathon records this year:
- The event raised a record-breaking $1.25 million and counting for Nationwide Children's Hospital in the second year of the partnership. This includes a $200,000 contribution from the Columbus Marathon board of trustees, $100,000 of that contribution will be directed to Pulmonary Medicine at Nationwide Children's in honor of long-time volunteers Brent and Catherine LaCount and their 3-year-old daughter, Berkley, who is living with Cystic Fibrosis.
- For the second year in a row, the women’s 1/2 Marathon Record fell; Leslie Sexton of London, Ontario ran it in 1:13:13.
- For the 7th year in a row, the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon sold-out – by Sept. 30, in record time.
- Additionally, Nationwide Children’s Hospital Patient Champions and their families were along every mile of the course to cheer on athletes and serve as a visual reminder of how the marathon is helping ill and injured children.
“The partnership with Nationwide Children’s Hospital continues to be a truly fulfilling experience for athletes, volunteers, spectators and marathon staff alike. Supporting such a great cause has added a tremendous amount of meaning and motivation for all involved,” said Darris Blackford, Race Director. “We hope to continue breaking records for Nationwide Children’s Hospital and enhancing the Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon experience every year.”
The 2013 Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon sold-out a field of 18,000 athletes. The combined events have sold out for seven straight years and the marathon continues to be the largest marathon in Ohio.
The 35th annual Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon and 1/2 Marathon will take place Sunday, Oct. 19, 2014. For more information on the race and full race results, visit www.columbusmarathon.com.
Fun Facts about the 2013 Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon
- 24 Miracle Mile Patient Champions who have shared their stories to inspire
- 3,000 volunteers making this marathon possible
- 49 states represented by our athletes (we’re just short of the great state of Mississippi)
- 100 bands and entertainers add extra cheer
- 27-member marathon team and 11-member marathon board of directors that have put in approximately 10,000 hours of planning
- Approximately 60,000 people attend the Health & Fitness Expo
- Approximately 60,000 to 100,000 spectators cheer on athletes on Race Day
- 250,000 White Castle cups of water to quench thirst
- 250,000 Cups of Lemon-Lime Gatorade (approximately 11,600 gallons of Gatorade) when water just doesn’t cut it
- 18,000 granola bars, pretzels, chips, yogurt, bananas and chocolate milk to replenish at the finish line
- 550 portable bathrooms for relief – a new record
- 24,000 Clif Shot energy gels to refuel (chocolate, raspberry and citrus flavored)
- 96 portable generators to power the course
- 1 Angel Mile to honor, remember and celebrate the angels of Nationwide Children’s who have already finished their race
- 1 Encore Mile, for the patients who lined the inaugural Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon & 1/2 Marathon in 2012
- 10,000 feet of fencing (nearly 2 miles) along various parts of the course
- 201,600 watt sound system rev up runners at the start line
- 27 permits throughout five different police jurisdictions close down 26.2 miles of roads