Peter White, PhD, is a genomics scientist and innovator, driven to create a future where no child with genetic disease goes undiagnosed and every child with cancer receives optimal treatment based upon their personal genome sequence. He currently has the position of Senior Director in The Institute for Genomic Medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, one of America’s largest not-for-profit freestanding pediatric health care systems. He also has the appointment of tenured Associate Professor of Pediatrics in the School of Medicine at The Ohio State University.
He directs the Computational Genomics Group, leading a team of 30 high performing bioinformatics scientists, data scientists, software engineers and developers. He has substantial expertise in cloud computing and its applications in a combined healthcare and research setting. Leveraging the flexibility of the cloud, his group develops highly optimized solutions to address the substantial processing, networking and big data challenges arising from genomic science.
Peter’s research program focuses on rapidly analyzing and interpret genomic data sets, utilizing disruptive cloud computing technologies to aid variant discovery, data warehousing and machine learning. He is principal investigator of Nationwide Children’s rare disease genomics program that is discovering novel genetic etiologies in patients with rare or as yet to be diagnosed genetic disease. Additionally, through genomic analysis of individuals, families and populations, his team is discovering genetic variation associated with diseases such as congenital heart defects, epilepsy, autism spectrum disorders, pediatric cancer and hematologic disorders. As developer and inventor of the balanced parallelization strategy for human genome analysis (named “Churchill”), Dr. White was founded GenomeNext LLC, a company providing Software as a Service for genomics applications.
Peter received his PhD in Molecular Biology from the University of Cambridge, England and completed his postdoctoral training in the Department of Genetics at The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. He has over 20 years of experience in the field of genomics and computational biology, is the recipient of multiple awards from the National Institutes of Health and has authored over 80 peer reviewed publications with over 14,000 citations.
- Top 20 Healthcare Professionals, Columbus Business First, 2017
- Team of the Year, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 2017
- The CLARITY Undiagnosed Challenege (1st Place), 2015
- Faculty Achievement Award, Ohio State College of Medicine, 2015
- The INTEL Head in the Clouds Challenge on AWS POC, 2014
- The CLARITY Challenge (Finalist), 2013
- Member, International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB), 2011 - Present
- Member, American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), 2010 - Present
- Member, Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF), 2009 - Present
- Member, International Society for Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, 2009 - 2011
- Member, Beta Cell Biology Consortium (BCBC), 2003 - 2008
2016 - Present Nationwide Children's Hospital, Senior Director, Computational Genomics Group, IGM
2016 - Present Nationwide Children's Hospital Institute for Genomic Medicine - Computational Genomics Group, Senior Director
2014 - Present GenomeNext LLC, Chief Scientific Officer
2008 - Present The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital, Principal Investigator