Peter White, PhD, is the Senior Director of the Computational Genomics Group in the Institute for Genomic Medicine, a Principal Investigator in The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and a Tenured Associate Professor of Pediatrics at The Ohio State University. Dr. White has established multiple genomics initiatives as part of Nationwide Children's strategic goal to develop a cutting edge genomic medicine program. As developer and inventor of the balanced parallelization strategy for human genome analysis (named “Churchill”), Dr. White is a co-founder of GenomeNext LLC.
Dr. White’s research program focuses on developing high performance computing solutions for "big data", utilizing disruptive technologies to rapidly analyze and interpret genomic data sets. Through genomic analysis of individuals, families and populations, his informatics team is working towards a future where genomics is part of routine pediatric care, discovering genetic variation associated with diseases such as congenital heart defects, pediatric cancer and rare genetic syndromes.
Dr. White received his PhD in Molecular Biology from the University of Cambridge, England and completed his postdoctoral training in the Department of Genetics at The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. He has over 20 years of experience in the field of genomics and computational biology, is the recipient of multiple awards from the National Institutes of Health and has authored over 60 peer reviewed publications.
- Top 20 Healthcare Professionals, Columbus Business First, 2017
- College of Medicine Faculty Achievement Award, 2015
- The CLARITY Undiagnosed Challenege (1st Place), 2015
- The INTEL Head in the Clouds Challenge on AWS POC, 2014
- The CLARITY Challenge (Finalist), 2013
- Member, International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB), 2011 - Present
- Member, American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), 2010 - Present
- Member, Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF), 2009 - Present
- Member, International Society for Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, 2009 - 2011
- Member, Beta Cell Biology Consortium (BCBC), 2003 - 2008
2016 - Present Nationwide Children's Hospital Senior Director, Computational Genomics Group, IGM
2008 - Present The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital Principal Investigator