O. N. Ray Bignall II, MD, is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Nephrology and Hypertension at Nationwide Children's Hospital and The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Dr. Bignall received a Bachelor of Science in Biology from Howard University, a Doctorate of Medicine from Meharry Medical College, and a Certificate in Health Policy at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy at Meharry. He completed his general pediatrics residency, clinical fellowship in nephrology, and a National Institutes of Health T32 post-doctoral research fellowship in the Center for Treatment Adherence and Self-Management, all at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
Dr. Bignall’s academic interests include social determinants of health, population health, and health disparities in pediatric kidney disease and transplantation. He is a recipient of the American Academy of Pediatrics Community Access to Child Health (CATCH) award, and was appointed a John E. Lewy Fund Advocacy Scholar of the American Society of Pediatric Nephrology (ASPN). He currently serves as a member of the Public Policy Committee of the ASPN, and the Policy and Advocacy Committee of the American Society of Nephrology. In addition, Dr. Bignall is involved in a variety of community and child health advocacy efforts, including the Healthy Neighborhoods, Healthy Families initiative, and the Congressional Black Caucus Health Braintrust.
- Fellow Teacher of the Year Award, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, 2018
- Community Health Advocate Award, University of Cincinnati Center for Clinical and Translational Research and Training, 2017
- William Cotton Pediatrician Advocate Award, Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2017
- 40 Under 40 Minority Health Leader Award, National Minority Quality Forum and the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Health Braintrust, 2017
- Academic Medicine Fellow, National Institutes of Health-National Medical Association, 2016
- BRIGHT Under 30 Award for Professional Achievement, The Cincinnati Herald, 2016
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 07/31/2018
- Pediatric Nephrology
|Fellowship||Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/2018|
|Residency||Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/2014|
|Medical School||Meharry Medical College||Date Completed: 05/31/2011|
|Undergraduate School||Howard University||Date Completed: 05/12/2007|