O. N. Ray Bignall II, MD, is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Nephrology at Nationwide Children's Hospital and The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Dr. Bignall received a Bachelor of Science in Biology from Howard University, a Doctorate of Medicine from Meharry Medical College, and a Certificate in Health Policy at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy at Meharry. He completed his general pediatrics residency, clinical fellowship in nephrology, and a National Institutes of Health T32 post-doctoral research fellowship in the Center for Treatment Adherence and Self-Management, all at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
Dr. Bignall’s academic interests include social determinants of health, population health, and health disparities in pediatric kidney disease and transplantation. He is a recipient of the American Academy of Pediatrics Community Access to Child Health (CATCH) award, and was appointed a John E. Lewy Fund Advocacy Scholar of the American Society of Pediatric Nephrology (ASPN). He currently serves as a member of the Public Policy Committee of the ASPN, and the Policy and Advocacy Committee of the American Society of Nephrology. In addition, Dr. Bignall is involved in a variety of community and child health advocacy efforts, including the Healthy Neighborhoods, Healthy Families initiative, and the Congressional Black Caucus Health Braintrust.
- Fellow Teacher of the Year Award, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, 2018
- Community Health Advocate Award, University of Cincinnati Center for Clinical and Translational Research and Training, 2017
- William Cotton Pediatrician Advocate Award, Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2017
- 40 Under 40 Minority Health Leader Award, National Minority Quality Forum and the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Health Braintrust, 2017
- Academic Medicine Fellow, National Institutes of Health-National Medical Association, 2016
- BRIGHT Under 30 Award for Professional Achievement, The Cincinnati Herald, 2016
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 07/31/2018
|Fellowship||Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/2018|
|Residency||Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/2014|
|Medical School||Meharry Medical College||Date Completed: 05/31/2011|
|Undergraduate School||Howard University||Date Completed: 05/12/2007|