If the health care plan you are offered does not meet your child's needs, ask your employer's human resources or personnel department about a child-friendly health care plan. Here are some questions you may want to ask your employer or health plan.
- Is there a group of Pediatricians from which to choose, including primary care providers as well as subspecialty pediatricians?
- Is there a dollar amount limit on services that my child can access before I am required to pay out-of-pocket costs?
- Am I required to stay within my health plan's network?
- Do I need referrals for specialty care? What are the penalties, if any, for using an out-of-network provider?
- If my health plan or my selected health care provider chooses to exit a contract for any reason, will the plan continue to cover services provided by the hospital or physician in order to maintain continuity of care?
- Is the provider I want to select open to new patients, or patients who have my health plan?