Inpatient Rehabilitation is a 12-bed medical unit located within Nationwide Children's Hospital with full access to all medical and diagnostic services. The Rehab Unit is a comprehensive inpatient pediatric specialty program has been accredited by CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) since 1992.
To Make A Referral:
- Call: (614) 722-8653
- Fax: (614) 722-8622
- Email Us
Each referral is evaluated individually according to the needs of the patient and family.
For more information, contact our Rehabilitation Coordinator, Cindy Iske, MS, OTR/L.
- The child must be medically stable before admission to the Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit so as to actively participate in the amount of therapy intervention needed to achieve his/her rehabilitation goals.
- Common diagnoses considered appropriate for admission to rehabilitation include but are not limited to: brain injury, spinal cord injury (all levels, complete and incomplete spinal cord injuries and all etiologies), stroke, orthopedic, neurological conditions and general deconditioning. Co-morbidities may include tracheostomy, CPAP, Bi-PAP or ventilator assistance.
- The child will have the potential to participate in a minimum of three hours of therapy intervention per day. Therapy intervention must include a need for physical therapy, occupational therapy, and or speech therapy.
- The child will be able to demonstrate the ability to follow one-step commands. In the case of those with traumatic brain injuries, the child will be functioning at a Rancho Level III or greater.
- The child will have preliminary plans for discharge established. These plans will help the team identify discharge needs (equipment, teaching and training) from day one.
- The child’s parents/primary caregivers will have training and educational needs regarding the care of their child.
- The child and parent will have goals/needs that could be met by the services/programs we offer.
- Insurance accepted: All types of commercial insurance, Managed Medicaid Programs, Medicaid, BCMH and self-pay. Always check with your health plan for the most up-to-date coverage.
Inpatient rehab offers a minimum of three hours of core services (PT, OT and/or Speech) per day, as required by funding sources. The comprehensive treatment team listed below complements the core therapy program.
The following are services provided in our rehab program, based on patient need:
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Education Specialist Services
- Early Intervention
- Pediatric Physiatry
- Respiratory Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Child Life Specialist Services
- Rehab Case Management
- Chaplain Services
- Social Work
- Visits from Our Therapy Dog
- Dietitian/Nutrition Services
For the families/support systems, Nationwide Children’s Hospital also provides:
- Social work – community and financial resources
- Psychology – psychosocial support (grieving and coping)
- Pastoral care – spiritual support/chapel
- Amenities – Ronald McDonald House, Sibling Clubhouse, and Blue Jackets Resource Room and
- Collaboration with schools, external vendors, community resources and more
The Rehab Physician strives for excellence in the delivery of care provided to the patient and family. The following are medical services available:
- Adolescent Medicine
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Plastic Surgery
- Sleep Lab
- Surgery (trauma, burn, and general)
- Vascular (consultative through OSU)
- Wound Care Specialist
Onsite services available:
- Medical services – 24/7 in-house coverage
- Diagnostic services (Radiology, Ultrasound, etc.) – results available within 4 hours unless
ordered STAT and then reported immediately.
- Laboratory services - results available within 4 hours unless ordered STAT and then
- Pharmacy services – 24/7 availability
Other services available onsite or through a referral, dependent on the needs of the patient/family include:
- Creative Arts Therapy
- Rehab Engineer
- Driver’s Education
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Vocational Specialist