Thank you for considering Nationwide Children’s Hospital for your donation!
Guidelines for Donations
Play, creativity, and access to resources that promote normalization are important parts of healing. Currently, patients are utilizing a higher volume of resources for individual use rather than playroom use. Many items are now single-patient use, creating a greater need for basic supplies that are replenished often.
As you make decisions on what to donate, it may be helpful to know that the majority of our patient population is age 2 and younger, our second largest population is age 12 and older. Patients aged 3-11 years are the smallest part of our population.
Top 5 Wish List Items
- Amazon, Target, and Walmart gift cards (see below for how we use these)
- Teethers, Rattles and Plastic Infant/Toddler Musical Light Up/Vibrating Toys (i.e., V-Tech, Fisher-Price)
- Dolls Representing Diversity (Skin Tone, Ability, Gender), (Plastic Body Preferred) & Action Figures
- LEGO Sets
- Basic Art Supplies: Markers, Crayons, Colored Pencils, Coloring Books, Adult Coloring Books, Slime Kits, Playdough Kits, Kinetic Sand & Craft Kits
How Gift Cards Help Us to Help Patients and Families
When receiving care at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, patients and families have a wide variety of needs for resources and support, and our team works hard to be creative in meeting those needs. Gift cards for Amazon, Walmart and Target help us to meet those needs.
Why we prefer gift cards to receiving physical donations:
- A flexible gift: We rely on gift cards to get what is most needed when it is most needed. This helps us to ensure resources are consistently available throughout the year.
- A safer choice: Donors do not have to spend time in crowded stores to get them. We do not need to quarantine items that we purchase online using gift cards and receive via shipments.
- Specialty items: We can get items that meet unique needs for development, special populations, and our cleaning requirements, these items are often not found in stores.
- Optimize the value: We often use gift cards to get needed items when they are on sale such as during back to school. This helps us to maximize the value of the gift and helps to ensure we have resources throughout the year.
Preparing for drop-off: For the safety of our team, we ask that donations are dropped off in boxes that are closed and are of a size that can be managed by one person.
Donations can be brought to the information desk at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 630 Children’s Drive. Please fill out a donation slip (available at the information desk) when you bring your donation.
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Fridays
Location: 630 Children’s Drive, Columbus, OH 43205
If you are bringing a large donation (more than what would fit in a standard car) please call (614) 722-3635 in advance to make an appointment for your drop-off.
Please note that due to infection control and privacy issues, we do not have opportunities for donors to personally distribute donations to patients and families.
Restrictions and Special Notes
- All toys and in-kind donations must be new. Because of infection control and allergies, we cannot accept used toys. This includes stuffed animals that have not been played with but have been on shelves in the home.
- For safety reasons, we cannot accept food donations including candy and/or gum.
- Because it is dangerous to those with latex allergies, we cannot accept items made of latex, such as balloons, erasers, and rubber bands.
- Nationwide Children’s cares for a diverse patient population, therefore, please do not include religious messages or themes.
- We cannot accept donations with weapons or violent themes such as guns, knives, swords, or other projectiles. This includes styrofoam or plastic bullets.
- Out of sensitivity for patients and families, please avoid including personal information on or with donated items. For example, tribute messages, such as “In Memory of or In Honor of,” or business information. It is appropriate to include a website of an organization should families choose to learn more.
Let Us Do the Shopping
If you would like us to the shopping on your behalf, you may make an online donation. Please indicate your designation is for Family and Volunteer Services.
If you would like to mail a monetary donation, please make your check payable to Nationwide Children’s Hospital Foundation.
In the memo section of the check please include: "Family and Volunteer Services."
Please mail monetary donations and gift cards to:
Nationwide Children's Hospital Foundation
P.O. Box 16810
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6810
Donation Wish List (PDF)
Amazon Smile Wish List
Nationwide Children's Hospital is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. (EIN: 31-1036370).
Thank you again for your generosity. Wishing you and yours a warm and safe holiday season!