Richard E. Kirschner, MD, FACS, FAAP, joined Nationwide Children's Hospital as chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, director of the Cleft Lip and Palate-Craniofacial Center and the Robert F. and Edgar T. Wolfe Foundation Chair in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Kirschner is nationally recognized as a leading authority in cleft lip and palate, velopharyngeal dysfunction, 22q11.2 deletion syndrome and hemangiomas/vascular malformations. He has been widely published in many leading professional publications, is co-editor of the text Comprehensive Cleft Care, and is actively involved in research and teaching. Dr. Kirschner has taught at educational symposia in several countries and is co-founder and medical director of Casa Azul America, Inc., a non-profit organization for the delivery of cleft care to underserved children in central Mexico.
He comes to Nationwide Children's from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, where he held the Mary Downs Chair for Craniofacial Treatment and Research and served as director of both the Cleft Lip and Palate Program and Plastic Surgery Research. He also served as program director for Plastic Surgery at The University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Kirschner completed his medical training at the University of Miami, School of Medicine, graduating with Research Distinction in Microbiology and Pediatrics. He pursued his surgical training at Cornell University Medical Center, where he also completed a research fellowship. He then completed his Plastic Surgery residency at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine prior to serving as a fellow in Pediatric Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Make a Referral
Call (614) 722-6200 or (877) 722-6220
Fax Referrals to (614) 722-4000 or make a referral online.
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Cleft Lip and Palate Center
Service Line Chief
Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery Fellowship
Craniofacial Speech Pathology Fellowship
Associate Program Director
Craniofacial and Special Care Orthodontic Fellowship
Associate Program Director
Melanoma & Pigmented Lesion Clinic
Hemangioma Vascular Anomalies
Velopharyngeal Dysfunction Program
Center for Complex Craniofacial Disorders
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 03/22/2010
- Plastic Surgery
|Fellowship||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia||Date Completed: 06/30/1998|
|Residency||University of Pennsylvania Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/1997|
|Residency||New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/1995|
|Medical School||University of Miami School of Medicine||Date Completed: 05/12/1989|
- Dr. Kirschner is the reason we came to Nationwide. He’s awesome – smart, highly skilled and compassionate.
- Dr. Richard Kirschner is an AMAZING doctor! Not only does he have a fabulous bedside manner, he is genuinely kind and caring individual. He has been treating my daughter for nearly four years now and I would honestly not go to another doctor. Other medical professionals have even complemented his work and asked who did it, he is excellent!
- Dr. Kirschner is the reason we come to Nationwide.
- Dr. Kirschner did a wonderful job repairing her cleft lip. Very pleased with the results.
- Dr. Kirschner met with us and explained what he had done and went over follow up care with us. He made us feel at ease and we would recommend him highly! We appreciated his time, concern and care.
- Know why Dr. Kirschner is Chief. He is a wonderful doctor for children. Deb Weideling
- Dr. Kirschner is an amazing doctor. He explains and answers all my questions, and does and amazing job! I felt at ease knowing my child is in great hands with him!
- Dr. Kirschner was terrific. He answered questions and was very approachable.
- Dr. Kirschner was very thorough and kind – and did an amazing job repairing our daughter’s cleft palate.