Kris R. Jatana, MD, a native of Columbus, is an associate professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University and Nationwide Children’s Hospital. He is certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He serves as a reviewer for several reputed peer review journals. For over 20 years, he has been involved with basic science, clinical, and/or translational research. Dr. Jatana has been an author on more than 75 published manuscripts and book chapters, and over 100 presentations at scientific meetings. His work has earned several national and international awards.
Since 2012, Dr. Jatana has served a leadership role on the National Button Battery Task Force, and his innovative ideas have resulted in several clinical practice guideline and industry changes. Dr. Jatana is currently the Director of Pediatric Otolaryngology Quality Improvement at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and he has served in a leadership role for pediatric otolaryngology in the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program-Pediatric. He has also been elected to the Executive Committee, Section of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery for the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Specific clinical expertise includes: pediatric benign and malignant tumors and complex congenital masses of the head and neck, maxillofacial trauma and reconstruction, airway reconstruction, chronic ear and sinus diseases, quality improvement, aerodigestive foreign bodies and injury prevention (consumer product safety).
Over the years, numerous national and international media outlets have interviewed Dr. Jatana relating to his clinical and research accomplishments, which has had a global impact.
- First Place Award, Society for Ear, Nose, Throat Advances in Children, 2018
- Broyles Maloney Award, American Broncho-Esophagological Association, 2018
- Top Podium Presentation Research Award, Scientific Symposium, 4th International Tracheostomy Conference and Global Tracheostomy Conference, 2018
- Outstanding Service in Advocacy Award, American Academy of Pediatrics, one award given nationally per year, for contributions to the National Button Battery Task Force, 2017
- Seymour R. Cohen Award, American Broncho-Esophagological Association, 2016
- Ellen M. Friedman Foreign Body Award, American Broncho-Esophagological Association, 2015
- Second Place Clinical Research Award, American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, 2013
- Member, American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, 2013 - Present
- Member, American Broncho-Esphagological Association, 2013 - Present
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2012 - Present
- Member, American Head and Neck Society, 2011 - Present
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010 - Present
- Subspecialty Fellow, Section of Otolaryngology, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010 - Present
- Member, Children’s Oncology Group, 2010 - Present
- Member, Columbus Eye & Ear, Nose, Throat Society, 2010 - Present
- Member, Society for Ear, Nose, and Throat in Children, 2010 - Present
- Member, Columbus Pediatric Society, 2010 - Present
- Member, American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, 2005 - Present
- Candidate Member, The Triological Society, 2005 - Present
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2003 - Present
- Member, American Medical Association, 2000 - Present
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 07/23/2010
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
|Fellowship||Children's Memorial Hospital||Date Completed: 06/30/2010|
|Residency||OSUWMC Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Nec||Date Completed: 06/30/2009|
|Internship||Mt Carmel Medical Center||Date Completed: 06/30/2005|
|Medical School||Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine||Date Completed: 05/31/2004|