A. Jay Freeman, MD, MSc, is medical director of Pancreatic Care for the Pancreas and Liver Care Center at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and professor of Pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Dr. Freeman is a leader in the care of children with pancreatic disorders as well as the GI and liver complications of cystic fibrosis. Related to pediatric pancreatology, he has authored numerous manuscripts and participated in international position papers and guidelines related to the nutritional management of pancreatitis, as well as the care of acute and chronic pancreatitis in children. He is also an investigator in the International Study Group of Pediatric Pancreatitis: In Search of a Cure (INSPPIRE) study where he serves on the Authorship and Data Integrity Committee. Dr. Freeman is actively involved in patient education in pancreatic disorders previously serving as the Medical Director for The Georgia Chapter of the National Pancreas Foundation (NPF) and currently serving on the Collaborative Alliance of Pancreas Education and Research (CAPER) Board of Directors.
Dr. Freeman is also active in clinical care and research related to the GI and Liver complications of cystic fibrosis. His work has established the GI patient reported outcome measures used in clinical trials sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) as well authored guidelines related to the management of pancreatitis, constipation and liver transplantation in cystic fibrosis.
In addition to his clinical and research interests, Dr. Freeman serves on the JPGN Reports editorial board and is an advisor on the NPF patient registry. He has received multiple honors including an award for Clinical Innovation in Program Development and was inducted into the GA Chapter of the CFF’s Peachtree Society.
- Honor Society, American University of the Caribbean Alpha Omega Phi, 2006
- Member, INSPPIRE Authorship and Data Integrity Guidelines Committee, 2021 - Present
- Member, Cystic Fibrosis Registry-Pediatric Health Information System Linkage, 2018 - Present
- Member, NASPGHAN/ESPGHAN Pancreatitis Nutrition Working Group, 2016 - Present
- Member, NASPGHAN/ESPGHAN CFLD Consortium, 2016 - Present
- Liaison, NASPGHAN-CFF, 2015 - Present
- Member, NASPGHAN Pancreatitis and Cystic Fibrosis Committee, 2014 - Present
- Member, Cystic Fibrosis Liver Disease Network (CFLD-NET), 2014 - Present
- Member, NASPGHAN Ethics Committee, 2014 - 2015
- Fellow Representative, NASPGHAN Ethics Committee, 2013 - 2014
- Member, American Gastroenterological Association, 2012 - Present
- Member, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN), 2011 - Present
- Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Disease, 2011 - Present
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 08/26/2022
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
|Fellowship||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Date Completed: 06/30/2014|
|Residency||Boston Children's Hospital||Date Completed: 06/30/2011|
|Medical School||American University of the Caribbean School of Med||Date Completed: 04/05/2008|