Founded in 2007 by The Heart Center at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, SEARCH (Summer Education and Research in Clinical Healthcare Internship) is for undergraduate students interested in a career in scientific research, medicine and allied health. During your rotation you will have a project that encompasses quality of care, education, and/or research and will be required to give a formal presentation regarding your experience.
2023 Program Dates
June 12 - July 21, 2023
The program offers:
- Stipend: Six week stipend. Applicable taxes will apply.
- Community Support: Establish connections within the healthcare profession and Columbus community.
- Mentorship & Career Guidance: Each scholar is assigned a mentor with a similar career interest. Through individual counseling and personal development workshops, scholars will be able to better prepare themselves to successfully reach their goals.
- Clinical Preceptorships: Scholars will build cultural competency and increase career awareness by having a variety of shadowing opportunities. Scholars will make more realistic self-evaluations of their own motivation and intentions surrounding their career choice.
- Professional Development: Support and resources are available to achieve post-secondary academic success leading to professional careers in the healthcare field.
- Housing & Transportation: Nationwide Children’s Hospital will provide campus housing for scholars as needed. Campus housing is within walking distance to and from the hospital. Additionally, Nationwide Children’s Hospital will pay reasonable round- trip travel costs to the program. Scholars will be provided with a stipend for meals.
- Currently attending an accredited U.S. university
- Entering junior or senior year of college in the fall of 2023.
- Minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Must demonstrate interest in medical or graduate school.
- Plan to take the MCAT and/or GRE.
- Pass a background check, drug screen and all standard Nationwide Children’s related requirements for employees.
- COVID-19 vaccination required.
The SEARCH Program is a full-time commitment. S.E.A.R.C.H. participants spend a minimum of 40 hours a week in their internship activities. Most of the internship occurs during the day but there are some mandatory evening programs and mixers.
100% of Scholars ...
- rated their rotation as an excellent educational experience
- found their interaction with physicians and residents provided a real-life introduction to the medical field
- found this experience to have a meaningful impact on future career direction
- would recommend this program to others
- stated their assigned mentor provided helpful career guidance and advice
Results based on 2019 SEARCH participants.
Dr. Timothy Feltes
Timothy F. Feltes, MD, FACC, is a Pediatric Cardiologist and Cardiac Intensivist in The Heart Center at Nationwide Children's Hospital. He holds the Andy Paxton Endowed Chair in Cardiology. He is also a Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
Long-Sheng Chang, PhD, is a principal investigator for the Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Diseases at The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital and a professor in the Department of Pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
Dominique R. Williams, MD, is a physician in the Section of Primary Care Pediatrics at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
- Bethune-Cookman University
- Capital University
- Central State University
- Kentucky State University
- Kenyon College
- Harvard University
- Howard University
- Ohio State University
- Spelman College
- Tennessee State University
- Tougaloo College
- Tuskegee University
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia State University
- Wilberforce University