The focus of Osteopathic Medicine is the understanding that all the body’s systems are interconnected and how each system affects the others. Special focus is placed on the musculoskeletal system, which not only makes up two-thirds of the body’s mass, but also reflects and influences the condition of all other body systems.
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) is hands on care. It involves using the hands to diagnose, treat, and prevent illness or injury. During an examination by a trained Osteopathic Physician, the musculoskeletal system is carefully evaluated, as structure plays a critical role in the body’s ability to function.
Osteopathic Medicine incorporates many unique treatment modalities to support the body’s natural tendency toward health and self-healing and to augment traditional treatment modalities.
OMT can be used to ease pain, promote healing, and increase overall mobility in patients of all ages, including infants.
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatmentservices are covered by many insurance plans.
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Clinic
The Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Clinic at Nationwide Children’s Hospital offers adjunctive and complimentary care for common medical conditions. This adjunctive therapy often decreases or eliminates the need for medications or other therapy in most cases. Physician referral is required.
The Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Clinic is for children aged birth through 21 years who would benefit from osteopathic manipulative medicine care.
Common disorders treated with Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Neck Pain/Strain
- Back Pain/Strain
- Migraine Cephalgia
- Musculoskeletal Cephalgia
- Recurrent OM
- Chronic Serous OM
- Functional Constipation
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Shin Splints
- Tibial Torsion
- Muscular Strain/Spasm
- Menstrual pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Sinus Disorders
- Sucking Dysfunction in Infants
What Patients Can Expect
- A comprehensive interview, examination, diagnosis and treatment plan
- A complete explanation of the diagnosis and treatment plan
- The opportunity to ask questions and discuss the diagnosis and treatment plan
- Access to Call a Nurse, a program that offers patient families quick and easy access to a highly-trained pediatric Registered Nurse who can provide expert advice and get the patient the care he or she needs.
- To be treated with respect by an Osteopathic Physician specializing in OMT
- A gentle healing touch