Host Defense Program
The Infectious Disease and Hem/Onc/BMT departments at Nationwide Children’s have developed the country’s first Host Defense Program specifically designed to address the needs of immune-compromised patients. Our collaborative and comprehensive approach ensures that the unique needs of your patient will be reviewed and provided by fellowship-trained Host Defense Specialists, who are supported by an interdisciplinary team of experts in immune-compromised conditions.
The Host Defense Program provides individualized consultation services to immune-compromised patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings for a wide variety of specialties and conditions, including:
- Non-malignant hematology
- Primary immunodeficiency
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- Solid organ transplantation
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Patients with autoimmune or autoinflammatory conditions
- Patients receiving immunomodulatory medications
Jeffery Auletta, MD, is the Director of the Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Program and the Host Defense and Immunocompromised Infectious Diseases (HD) Program at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
- Read more about Host Defense in Dr. Monica Ardura's 700 Children's Blog, Immunodeficiency and Infection: Who Is at Risk?
Host Defense Program consultations are only available for Nationwide Children's physicians through an EPIC order.
If you're a referring physician interested in a consult, please call: 614-722-4452.