Specialists from many different disciplines will work together as a team to treat your child’s specific conditions associated with 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. Our Welcome Center and 22q Center staff will assist with your family's housing, transportation, and insurance needs.
What to Send Prior to Your Visit
IMPORTANT: Please complete the 22q Center Intake form. This helps us to customize your child's appointment. Once we receive your child’s intake forms, medical records release forms, medical records, and insurance information, our 22q nursing and care coordination team will review them. The review process may take a few weeks. You will then be contacted to discuss your child’s care needs and to begin the process of scheduling a team visit with the 22q Center at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
Please send the 22q Center intake form to:
22q Center/Plastic Surgery
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
Fax: (614) 722-5826
You will receive a reminder letter informing you of the date and times of each of your specialty appointments. Based on how many providers your child needs to see, your visit may last one to five days. We will work together with the Welcome Center to coordinate any housing and transportation needs during your stay. Please note there may be different clinic locations for some specialty providers. Please let our 22q team coordinators know if you have any time constraints (re: childcare, flight times, etc.) when scheduling your appointments.
What to Bring to Your Visit
- All patients must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for appointments. Guardians who are not biological parents need to present legal documentation or proof of guardianship
- Insurance card – Co-pays will be collected if required
- Please be prepared with snacks or other necessities you may need for each visit (e.g., extra diapers, formula, iPad/games, etc.)
- Medical records from another facility, if applicable (the 22q Center will assist with gathering any needed medical records before your visit, when possible).
- Completed forms you receive in your 22q Center packet (release forms, questionnaires, etc)
- A copy of your child’s current IEP (usually updated annually; or a 504 plan if your child has this instead of an IEP), most recent ETR (this is the school-based IEP-related testing, typically updated every 3 years)
- Any past neuropsychology/psychological or recent cognitive/developmental/IQ test results
- Any recent speech therapy evaluation or progress reports
- Names and contact information for your child’s current speech-language therapist(s)
- List of current medications.
What to Expect While You Are Here
- Please plan to arrive 15 minutes before your each of your scheduled appointment times for parking and registration.
- The duration of each appointment may vary significantly. Team visits (with the craniofacial providers of the 22q team) often last 2-5 hours depending on the number of specialists your child needs to see. Individual medical appointments and procedures may last anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on the types of testing required at the visit. Lab work may also be needed to be done at the end of a visit, if requested by the doctor.
- The 22q Center is located in the Main Hospital at 700 Children's Drive, Columbus, Ohio. Park in the underground Hospital Parking Garage directly across from the hospital main entrance (the parking garage does require a $2 fee to exit). Please check-in at Crossroads registration when you enter the main hospital building. After registration, then take the Tower elevators to the 5th Floor and follow the signs to the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Clinic Suite
What to Expect After You Leave
- After your child's visit is completed, you will receive copies of individual reports/letters from specialty providers and a team summary letter which will provide a comprehensive and coordinated treatment plan and follow up recommendations
- We welcome any feedback to make your experience at the 22q Center better. Please contact us to provide any suggestions or feedback on your clinic experience at any time. Please call (614) 722-6299 option 2, option 3, if you need to cancel, reschedule or if you have any questions or comments