What is Patellar Tendinitis?
- Inflammation of the patellar tendon located directly below the knee cap.
What causes Patellar Tendinitis?
- Overuse of muscles
- Most common in sports with jumping (basketball, volleyball).
What are the Symptoms?
- Pain in the front of the knee with no injury.
- Typically pain begins after activity, eventually occurs during activity.
- Constant knee pain occurs as condition worsens.
What Can I Do to Feel Better?
- Rest - avoid activities that increase pain.
- Stretching of thigh and lower leg muscles.
- Ice for 15-20 minutes at a time will help decrease swelling and pain.
- Compression can be helpful to decrease swelling and pain.
When Should I See a Medical Professional?
- If rest, ice, and compression are not improving the condition.
- If you are uncertain about the severity of the condition.