Constipation in Children
What is constipation?
Constipation is defined as:
A decrease in frequency of bowel movements, compared to a child's usual pattern (some health care providers define constipation as fewer than three bowel movements per week).
The passage of hard, oftentimes large-caliber, dry bowel movements.
Bowel movements that are difficult or painful to push out.
However, normal stool elimination may consist of having a bowel movement three times a day or three times a week; it depends on the person. Constipation is one of the most common gastrointestinal complaints, resulting in 2.5 million health care provider visits annually.
Learn more about constipation.
Online Medical Reviewer: Bass, Pat F. III, MD, MPHSather, Rita, RN
Date Last Reviewed: 4/11/2012
© 2000-2019 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
- Constipation in Children
- Digestive and Liver Disorders Overview
- Bisacodyl suppositories
- Bisacodyl tablets and capsules
- Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium Oral capsule
- Cecostomy for Children
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Docusate capsules
- Docusate oral solution, suspension, or syrup
- Docusate rectal enema
- Docusate Sodium; Senna tablets or capsules
- Flaxseed (Linseed) oral solution
- Flaxseed Oral capsule, liquid filled
- Lactulose oral solution
- Lactulose powder for oral solution
- Lubiprostone oral capsule
- Magnesium Citrate oral solution
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Magnesium Salts capsules or tablets, immediate release
- Magnesium Salts oral solution
- Magnesium Salts tablets, extended-release
- Magnesium Sulfate injection
- Methylcellulose capsules or tablets
- Methylcellulose granules or powder for solution
- Methylcellulose powder for suspension
- Methylnaltrexone injection
- Phosphorus Salts powder for oral solution
- Polycarbophil Chewable Tablets
- Polycarbophil Oral Tablet
- Polyethylene Glycol powder
- Potassium Phosphate oral tablets
- Potassium Phosphate solution for injection
- Psyllium Chewable bars or wafers
- Psyllium granules or powder for solution
- Psyllium oral capsule
- Senna oral solution
- Senna tablets or capsules
- Tegaserod tablets