700 Children's® – A Blog by Pediatric Experts

Tax Season Is Question Season

Jan 23, 2023
blog tax credits

Filing income taxes is a necessary part of life. While the process can be stressful, tax credits can also provide a huge sense of relief for single parent families, low-income families, and families who are experiencing food insecurity. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found that 1 in 3 households with children have reported major hardship in the last three years, with even more reported (1 in 2 households with children) for Black and Latino families.

If you find tax season confusing, you’re not alone! Many people have lots of questions about the process. Learn the answers to some of the most common questions, so you are ready when your tax documents start arriving in the mail.

Should I file?
For most people, the answer is yes. If you had income, if you worked and have children, or if you had taxes withheld from your pay, you should at least talk to an expert to figure out if you should file.

How do I know if I had taxes withheld from my pay?
You can look at Box 2 on your W-2 forms or Box 4 on most 1099 forms. If there is an amount in those boxes, that is money held back for taxes. If there are amounts in those boxes, you should probably file.

Are there credits again this year?
YES! Some of the credits have decreased after being raised as part of federal COVID-19 relief in 2022. Those are:

  • The Child Tax Credit. Even though it is less than last filing season, if you qualify, it can still add as much as $1,400 per child to your refund.
  • The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). You might qualify if you had wages or other income from working. This credit can be especially helpful to working parents with children. If you qualify, this credit can add to the amount of your refund.

There are other credits available as well, like student credits and credits for childcare payments. You must file to receive all potential credits.

Should I pay someone to do my taxes?  
If your household income is $65,000 or less, you might qualify for programs like the Nationwide Children’s VITA program, 614 File Free. Sites like these are held all over the country. You can find them here. This program allows you to file your federal and state taxes for free. You get the expert help of trained people who want to help you and your family keep as much of your money as possible. 

To learn more about your taxes or to find out how to schedule an appointment if your income is $65,000 or less, visit 614FileFree.org.

Featured Expert

Ed Miner
Health Neighborhoods Health Families (HNHF)

All Topics

Browse by Author

About this Blog

Pediatric News You Can Use From America’s Largest Pediatric Hospital and Research Center

700 Children’s® features the most current pediatric health care information and research from our pediatric experts – physicians and specialists who have seen it all. Many of them are parents and bring a special understanding to what our patients and families experience. If you have a child – or care for a child – 700 Children’s was created especially for you.