Nationwide Children’s Hospital Snackwise Program announces its annual top 10 “Best Choice” snacks found in vending machines and cafeteria a la carte lines across the country. The top 10 snacks* are:
1. NutriPals Fruit Bars (Strawberry)
2. CLIF Kid Organic Z Bar (Peanut Butter)
3. Quaker Oatmeal To Go for Kids (Apple Cinnamon)
4. NutriPals Snack Bars (Peanut Butter Chocolate)
5. Herbalife Protein Bar (Chocolate Fudge)
6. Power Bar Pria Complete Nutrition Bar (Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp)
7. VitaMuffin VitaTops (all flavors)
8. Solo Nutrition Bar (Chocolate Charger and Mint Mania)
9. South Beach Living Cereal Bars (Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Raisin, Cranberry Almond, Maple Nut, Chocolate)
10. South Beach Living Snack Bar Delights (Chocolate Raspberry)
For the first time, the complete snack list (750 rated snacks) is available FREE for a limited time through www.Snackwise.org.
The Snackwise Nutrition Rating System, developed by Nationwide Children’s Hospital’s Center for Healthy Weight & Nutrition, measures a snack’s nutrient density. A snack food receives a “Best Choice” rating when high amounts of protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and fiber offset the snack’s less desirable elements (calories, sugar, fat and sodium).
Nutritionists with Snackwise always recommend fresh fruits and vegetables over vended snacks. However, when none are available, the Snackwise rating system educates consumers about the snacks they encounter in a vending machine.
Snackwise is a non-profit, independent rating system. Online resources, including a free online rating calculator, are available for parents, students, schools and businesses at www.Snackwise.org.
For additional information and graphics for reporters and editors, visit www.snackwise.org/news.cfm.
*Ranking is based on the existing Snackwise database.