i want to
live librarian help
Music Therapy is an established health profession in which music-based interventions are used to address the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals of all ages and levels of functioning. Music Therapists work across a variety of clinical settings including medical hospitals, schools, nursing homes, and mental health centers.
The Music Therapists working at Nationwide Children’s Hospital serve all in-patient areas of the hospital.
At Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Music Therapists work with patients on therapeutic goals including:
• Reducing stress, anxiety, and pain
• Promoting comfort and relaxation
• Providing opportunities for self-expression
• Supporting developmental skills
• Reinforcing academic skills
• Providing experiences that support memory making and legacy building
• Promoting ability to cope with hospitalization and healthcare experiences
• Providing opportunities for positive interactions between patients and their families
Music Therapists use a wide variety of music and musical experiences in their sessions. A patient receiving music therapy may engage in:
• Playing instruments
• Writing songs
• Directed music listening
• Music and relaxation exercises
• Lyric discussion
• Moving to music
• Creating recordings and videos
• Adapted instrument lessons
Music Therapists hold degrees in music therapy at the bachelor's, master’s, and doctorate levels.
They are nationally certified by the Certification Board for Music Therapists and hold the Music Therapist Board Certified (MT-BC) credential. In addition, Music Therapists working in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) receive post-graduate training through the National Institute for Infant and Child Medical Music Therapy.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital is an American Music Therapy Association National Roster Internship Site. For questions regarding the internship, please email Internship Director Jennifer Yurkovich, MT-BC at Jennifer.Yurkovich@nationwidechildrens.org.
Please email us at MusicTherapists@nationwidechildrens.orgfor further information about our music therapy services.