Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)
||Core Lab, Metabolic chemistry||nmol/L|
|Container Type||Container Size||Specimen Volume|
Blood filter paper card
Room temperature - 96 day(s)
Refrigerated - 96 day(s)
- Allow blood spot card to dry for a minimum of 3 hours
Reasons for Rejection
- Blood not soaked through paper
- Blood spots grossly soaked through onto cover
- Inadequate filling of circles on filter paper card
- No blood on card
- Specimen submitted on Ohio Department of Health Newborn screen cards
Quantification of psychosine in dried blood spots may be used to support the biochemical diagnosis following an abnormal newborn screen and follow-up of individuals affected with Krabbe disease
When collecting specimen on a blood spot card, do not allow capillary tube or patient heel to touch the collection card. Completely fill 1-2 circles. Allow card to air dry for 3 hours before sending to laboratory. Cards are available from Laboratory Services (614-722-5477).
When ordered as a follow-up to an abnormal newborn screening test, please submit a copy of the state newborn screening results with the specimen.
For STAT testing after 4:00pm Mon-Fri and/or on weekends anytime, please call Metabolic pager at 614-690-6225.