The Futures Matter Program is an eight-week paid summer research experience on the campus of The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. High school students will be placed with a researcher for a hands-on science experience while being exposed to various careers in biomedical research. During the program they will have the opportunity to engage in discussions and seminars lead by faculty and trainees. There will also be other age-appropriate activities that will enrich the summer experience.
2019 Program Dates
Monday, June 10 to Friday, August 2
- Placement Orientation – TBD
- Monday, June 10, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Hospital Orientation
- Friday, August 2, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – End-of-Summer Poster Competition
The 2019 application will open on February 4th and close on March 8th. Click here to apply.
- You will need to create a user account to begin the online application.
- You will also need to provide the email address of one of your teachers as a reference.
For more information or if you have questions, please email FuturesMatterResearch@NationwideChildrens.org.
- Ability to meet demands of the program - this is a full time internship, Monday - Friday, approximately 8 hours per day
- Sophomore or Junior in high school
- 16 years of age or older
- Interest in a biomedical research career
- Underrepresented minority, economically disadvantaged and/or disabled students are strongly encouraged to apply
- Must have the ability to work independently
- Transportation/lodging is not provided
News and Announcements
The 2016 End of Summer Poster Competition was held on August 5, 2016. Congratulations to all of our participants. The 2016 award winners are as follows:
- Winner: Shankar Pattabhiraman - Kaspar Lab - Center for Gene Therapy
- Winner: Darius Montero - McKenzie Lab - Center for Injury Research & Policy
- Merit Award: Rahul Kumar - Garg Lab - Center for Cardiovascular Research
- Merit Award: Akanksha Malhotra - Stewart Lab - Battelle Center for Mathematical Medicine