How to Apply
Applications to our residency program are processed through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) using the National Residency Match Program (NRMP) match rules. All applications are reviewed, and if your application meets our selection criteria, you will receive an email inviting you to contact us to schedule your interview. Please contact us if you have questions regarding your application status.
- Graduate of an accredited US or Canadian medical school within the last 5 years
- Naturalized or permanent US citizen
- Passing USMLE or COMLEX Step 1 scores (passing Step 2 CK and CS scores required prior to starting residency). Minimum score requirement is dependent upon average scores for the applicant pool. These minimum score requirements are not released.
- International medical graduates additional requirements:
- Graduation from medical school within the last 5 years
- Possess a J1 or H1B visa and current, valid ECFMG certificate or full unrestricted license to practice medicine in Ohio
- One year of US or Canadian clinical training (observerships do not meet this requirement)
Your ERAS application must include:
- Common application form
- Four recommendation letters
- Internal Medicine department letter (or clerkship director)
- Pediatrics department letter (or clerkship director)
- Two from faculty
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts
- Personal statement
Interviews are conducted October through early January. You will be notified of available interview dates when invited to schedule your interivew.
Should your visit here require that you arrive the day before your scheduled interview, please indicate your need for a hotel room when scheduling your interview. Our applicants are provided hotel accommodations at The Blackwell Hotel on the Ohio State University campus at a reduced rate. Our office will handle all reservations. A credit card will be required at check-in for any additional expenses that you may incur. The Blackwell has an airport shuttle service available – please contact the hotel directly before arriving for your interview for more information on this service. Hotel parking information can also be obtained by calling them directly or by visiting The Blackwell Hotel website.
A dinner will be hosted by the Med-Peds residents at a local restaurant at 6:00 pm the evening prior to your interview. Details for the evening will be sent to you after you schedule your interview.
The Interview Day
Your interview day will begin at 6:30 a.m. A shuttle will transport you from the hotel to OSU at 6:45.
The morning schedule at OSU will be:
- Resident Report
- OSU welcome and introductions
- Introduction with Med Peds Program Leadership
- Faculty interviews
- OSU tour
- Shuttle to NCH at 12:30 p.m.
The afternoon schedule at NCH will include:
- Resident roundtable and lunch
- NCH tour
- Faculty interviews
- South High Med-Peds Primary Care Clinic tour
- Shuttle back to The Blackwell Hotel
The interview day will end at 5:00 p.m. – please keep this in mind when making any travel arrangements. Travel time from NCH or the hotel to the airport is approximately 20-30 minutes.
Our Selection Committee will meet the end of January to review the files of all interviewed applicants. The rank order list will be submitted to NRMP in mid-February.