Ihuoma Eneli, MD, MS, FAAP, is director of the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition at Nationwide Children's Hospital. She is a board certified general pediatrician and professor of Clinical Pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
Dr. Eneli oversees a comprehensive pediatric obesity center with activities that include advocacy, prevention, medical weight management and adolescent bariatric surgery. Dr. Eneli also directs the Primary Care Obesity Network (PCON) which provides obesity-related training, resources and community integration for 21 primary care practices in Central Ohio. She is actively engaged in research, has published several papers and book chapters, and received funding from multiple sources: including the National Institute of Health. She has particular interest in intervention research for pediatric obesity.
Dr. Eneli has served in different capacities on regional and national childhood obesity workgroups, including the Children's Hospitals Association (CHA); member Local Matters Board; associate director of the American Academy of Pediatrics Institute for Healthy Childhood Weight (IHCW); and the member of the National Academy of Sciences Roundtable on Obesity Solutions.
Dr. Eneli received her medical degree from the University of Nigeria and completed her pediatric residency at Michigan State University where she served as Chief Resident. She also received a Masters of Science degree in Epidemiology and completed an NIH-K30 institutional clinical research fellowship from Michigan State University.
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science Award (CCTS), The Ohio State University, 2016
- Certificate of Appreciation, MEDPATH Post Baccalaureate, 2013
- Outreach Award, Healthy Neighborhood Healthy Families Honoree for Healthy Heroes, 2011
- Selected Fellow, The Annual Minority Investigators Workshop on Behavioral Methodologies, National Cancer Institute, 2007
- Ray Hefler Faculty Teaching Award, Sparrow Hospital/Michigan State University, 2006
- Ray Hefler Faculty Teaching Award, Sparrow Hospital/Michigan State University, 2005
- Appreciation, Cultural Diversity Summer Research Program, College of Human Medicine Michigan State University, 2004
- Faculty Teaching Award, Sparrow Hospital/Michigan State University, 2003
- Appreciation, Cultural Diversity Summer Research Program, College of Human Medicine Michigan State University, 2003
- Member, Clinical Practice Guideline Committee, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2019 - Present
- Vice Chair, National Academy of Medicine Roundtable on Obesity Solutions Washington DC, 2019 - Present
- Member, Obesity Clinical Practice Guideline Committee (CPG), American Academy of Pediatrics, 2019 - Present
- National Advisor, Academic Pediatric Association’s Research Scholars Program, 2019 - 2019
- Associate Director, American Academy of Pediatrics Institute of Healthy Childhood Weight, 2016 - Present
- Member, Pennsylvania Department of Health and Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU), 2007 - Present
- Member, Society for Pediatric Research, 2007 - Present
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1994 - Present
- Grant Reviewer, Commonwealth Universal Research Enhancement (CURE)
- Grant Reviewer, Commonwealth Universal Research Enhancement (CURE),Pennsylvania Department of Health and Oak Ridge Associated Universities
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 07/31/2006
|Fellowship||Michigan State University College of Human Medicin||Date Completed: 05/31/2003|
|Residency||Sparrow Health System||Date Completed: 08/24/1997|
|Medical School||University of Nigeria||Date Completed: 06/30/1989|
2014 - Present Nationwide Children's Hospital, Director, Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition
2013 - Present The Ohio State University, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
2006 - Present Nationwide Children's Hospital, Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition, MD
1997 - 2006 Michigan State University Department of Pediatrics, Assistant Professor
Patient Centered Outcome Research Institute (PCORI)
Statistical Methods for Phenotype Estimation and Analysis Using Electronic Health Record, Other
The goal of this study is to evaluate statistical methods to determine variables that may link together to create computable phenotypes.
Patient Centered Outcome Research Institute
The Effectiveness of Family-Based Weight Loss Treatment Implemented in Primary Care, Other
The multisite study will investigate the effectiveness of family-based therapy for childhood obesity in the primary care setting.
National Institute of Health (NIH)
National Pediatrics Learning System (PEDsNet)/CHOP-NCH Antibiotic and Growth Study, Other
The proposed study will develop a learning system amongst eight children's hospital allowing for alignment and validation of electronic health records, patient engagement and improve care in three patient powered research networks in congenital heart disease, inflammatory bowel disorders, and obesity.