Gayathri (Gaya) Chelvakumar, MD, MPH, is an attending physician in the section of Adolescent Medicine at Nationwide Children's Hospital and an assistant professor of clinical pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine. She received her medical degree from Northwestern University and completed her residency and adolescent medicine fellowship training at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee where she also completed a Master of Public Health Degree. Her clinical interests include adolescent reproductive health and working with underserved adolescent populations.
She provides care to transgender and gender diverse youth as Co-Medical Director of the THRIVE Gender Development Program, which she helped develop. She also established and operates a medical clinic at a local drop in center for homeless youth. She is an educator and currently serves as the Rotation Director for the Adolescent Medicine rotation and is on the faculty for the World Professional Association of Transgender Health’s Global Education Initiative.
Her research interests involve health promotion and education in collaboration with community-based organizations; and interventions to improve quality of life in transgender and gender diverse youth.
THRIVE Differences of Sexual Development (DSD) and Complex Urological Conditions
Adolescent Medicine Fellowship
- Distinguished Community Partner of the Year, Kaleidoscope Youth Center, 2017
- Primary Care Preceptor of the Year, Doctor’s Hospital Family Residency Training Program, 2015
- Member, Resident Education Committee, North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 2017 - 2019
- Member, North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 2016 - Present
- Member, World Professional Association of Transgender Health, 2015 - Present
- Member, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine, 2011 - 2017
- Fellow, Member, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2007 - Present
Date of Appointment at Nationwide Children’s Hospital: 09/16/2013
- Adolescent Medicine
|Fellowship||Medical College of Wisconsin||Date Completed: 06/30/2013|
|Residency||Medical College of Wisconsin||Date Completed: 06/30/2010|
|Medical School||Northwestern University||Date Completed: 05/31/2007|