As a Clinical Genetics Laboratory Director at Nationwide Children’s Hospital Institute for Genomic Medicine (IGM), in conjunction with the IGM Executive Directors, IGM Clinical Laboratory Senior Director, and other IGM Clinical Laboratory Directors, Erik J. Zmuda, MS, PhD, assumes responsibility for the clinical research, scientific, and educational functions of the laboratory.
As a Molecular Genetics Technical Director at Nationwide Children's, Erik is engaged as the technical director of molecular laboratory operations for the Biospecimen Core Resource (BCR). The BCR performs pathology and molecular quality control of tumor and normal specimens for large-scale NCI cancer genomics projects. He is responsible for oversight of all aspects of the Molecular Laboratory operations. His goal is to provide leadership and strategic vision enabling the molecular laboratory to meet and exceed requirements for productivity, quality, process automation and new method/assay development. In addition, he coordinates and oversees the assembly and distribution of large scale nucleic acid shipments to genome sequencing and characterization centers.
- First Place Poster Presentation Award; Postdoctoral Fellow Category, OSU/NCH Research Retreat, 2016
- Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, OSU Molecular Life Sciences Interdisciplinary Graduate Program Symposium, 2009
- Outstanding Oral Presentation Award, OSU Molecular Life Sciences Interdisciplinary Graduate Program Symposium, 2008
- Chemistry Research Grant, University of Dayton, 1998
- Member, American Society of Human Genetics, 2015 - Present
- Associate Member, American Association of Cancer Researchers, 2015 - Present
2017 - Present Nationwide Children's Hospital, Institute for Genomic Medicine, Clinical Genetics Laboratory Director
2011 - 2017 Nationwide Children's Hospital, Molecular Genetics Technical Director
2010 - 2011 Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Postdoctoral Research Scientist
2009 - 2010 The Ohio State University, Postdoctoral Research Scientist
2004 - 2010 The Ohio State University, Laboratory Manager