Tretinoin skin cream (Cosmetic Use; Wrinkles)
What is this medicine?
TRETINOIN (TRET i noe in) is a naturally occurring form of vitamin A. It is used on the skin to treat the effects of aging on the face, such as fine lines, wrinkles, or age spots.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Gently wash your face with a mild, non-medicated soap before use. Pat the skin dry. Wait 20 to 30 minutes for your skin to dry before use in order to minimize the possibility of skin irritation. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area and rub in gently. Avoid applying this medicine to your eyes, ears, nostrils, angles of the nose, and mouth. Do not use more often than your doctor or health care professional has recommended. Using too much of this medicine may irritate your skin, and will not give faster or better results.
Talk to your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
darkening or lightening of the treated areas
severe burning, itching, crusting, or swelling of the treated areas
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
increased sensitivity to the sun
red, inflamed, and irritated skin, the skin may peel after a few days
What may interact with this medicine?
medicines or other preparations that may dry your skin such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid
medicines that increase your sensitivity to sunlight such as tetracycline or sulfa drugs
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, skip that dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not use extra doses, or use for a longer period of time than directed by your doctor or health care professional.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
excessive sensitivity to the sun
an unusual or allergic reaction to tretinoin, vitamin A, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
You may not notice any improvements in your facial lines right away. It may take up to 4 months to see any effects. This medicine does not completely remove wrinkles or repair sun damaged skin.
Do not wash your face more than 2 or 3 times a day, unless directed by your doctor or health care professional. Do not use the following products on the same areas that you are treating with this medicine, unless otherwise directed by your doctor or health care professional: other topical agents with a strong skin drying effect such as products with a high alcohol content, astringents, spices, the peel of lime or other citrus, medicated soaps or shampoos, permanent wave solutions, electrolysis, hair removers or waxes, or any other preparations or processes that might dry or irritate your skin.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths. Avoid cold weather and wind as much as possible, and use clothing to protect you from the weather. Skin treated with this medicine may dry out or get wind burned more easily.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acne in Children
- Adolescent (13 to 18 Years)
- Adolescent Health Problems and Injuries
- Adapalene; Benzoyl Peroxide topical gel
- Adapalene skin products
- Arsenic Trioxide injection
- Azelaic Acid skin cream
- Azelaic Acid skin foam
- Azelaic Acid skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Clindamycin skin gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Erythromycin skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide skin cream, gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide Topical bar, wash, and creamy wash
- Chlorhexidine oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical antiseptic
- Clindamycin capsules
- Clindamycin injection
- Clindamycin medicated pledgets
- Clindamycin oral solution
- Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Lotion
- Clindamycin skin solution or gel
- Clindamycin topical foam
- Clindamycin vaginal cream
- Clindamycin vaginal suppositories
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Erythromycin chewable tablets
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Erythromycin injection
- Erythromycin oral suspension
- Erythromycin skin lotion
- Erythromycin tablets, immediate release
- Erythromycin tablets or capsules, delayed release
- Erythromycin topical gel
- Erythromycin topical ointment
- Erythromycin topical pledget
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Isotretinoin capsules
- Minocycline injection
- Minocycline oral extended-release capsules or tablets
- Minocycline Periodontal Powder
- Minocycline tablets or capsules
- OnabotulinumtoxinA injection (Cosmetic Use)
- OnabotulinumtoxinA injection (Medical Use)
- Salicylic Acid pads, wash
- Salicylic Acid shampoo
- Salicylic Acid topical gel, cream, lotion, solution
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfacetamide Sodium, Sulfur Topical foam
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cleanser or emulsion
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cream, gel, or lotion
- Sulfacetamide; sulfur topical skin foam
- Tazarotene skin cream
- Tazarotene skin cream (Cosmetic Use)
- Tazarotene skin gel
- Tazarotene topical skin foam
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules
- Tretinoin oral capsules
- Tretinoin topical solution