Sulfacetamide Sodium, Sulfur Topical foam
What is this medicine?
SULFACETAMIDE; SULFUR (sul fa SEE ta mide; sul fur) is a sulfonamide antibiotic. It is used on the skin to treat acne, rosacea, or seborrhea.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Wash hands before and after use. Before each use, shake and tap the bottom of the can as directed. Be sure to read the directions that come with your product. Depress the pump until a foam begins to come out of the can. Gently cleanse and pat dry the affected area before applying. Dispense foam onto fingertips. Use fingertips to apply gently to the affected area. Keep the foam on skin for at least 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the medicine may be left on or rinsed with water. Do not use your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years old, precautions do apply.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
mild skin irritation or dryness
What may interact with this medicine?
-silver-containing skin productsDo not use any other skin products on the affected area without asking your doctor or health care professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store upright at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. The contents are under pressure and may burst when exposed to heat or flame. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
large areas of damaged skin
an unusual or allergic reaction to sulfacetamide, sulfur, sulfa drugs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If you do, rinse out with plenty of cool tap water.
If you get any sign of an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and call your doctor or health care professional for advice.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acne in Children
- Adolescent (13 to 18 Years)
- Adolescent Health Problems and Injuries
- Cradle Cap
- Adapalene; Benzoyl Peroxide topical gel
- Adapalene skin products
- Azelaic Acid skin cream
- Azelaic Acid skin foam
- Azelaic Acid skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Clindamycin skin gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Erythromycin skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide skin cream, gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide Topical bar, wash, and creamy wash
- Betamethasone foam
- Betamethasone injection
- Betamethasone oral solution
- Betamethasone skin cream, gel, lotion, or ointment
- Betamethasone topical spray
- Chlorhexidine oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical antiseptic
- Ciclopirox nail solution
- Ciclopirox shampoo
- Ciclopirox skin cream or gel
- Ciclopirox skin lotion or suspension
- Clindamycin capsules
- Clindamycin injection
- Clindamycin medicated pledgets
- Clindamycin oral solution
- Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Lotion
- Clindamycin skin solution or gel
- Clindamycin topical foam
- Clindamycin vaginal cream
- Clindamycin vaginal suppositories
- Coal tar bath solution
- Coal Tar Foam
- Coal tar shampoo
- Coal Tar skin cream, lotion, or gel
- Corticotropin, ACTH Gel for Injection
- Cortisone tablets
- Dexamethasone eye drops
- Dexamethasone eye ointment
- Dexamethasone injection
- Dexamethasone intravitreal implant
- Dexamethasone oral solution
- Dexamethasone tablets
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Erythromycin chewable tablets
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Erythromycin injection
- Erythromycin oral suspension
- Erythromycin skin lotion
- Erythromycin tablets, immediate release
- Erythromycin tablets or capsules, delayed release
- Erythromycin topical gel
- Erythromycin topical ointment
- Erythromycin topical pledget
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Fluocinolone Acetonide; Aluminum Acetate Shampoo
- Fluocinolone intravitreal implant
- Fluocinolone oil ear drops
- Fluocinolone shampoo
- Fluocinolone skin cream, ointment, or topical solution
- Fluocinolone topical oil
- Fluocinonide skin cream, gel, ointment, or topical solution
- Flurandrenolide skin cream, ointment, or lotion
- Flurandrenolide tape
- Hydrocortisone injection
- Hydrocortisone rectal aerosol foam
- Hydrocortisone rectal cream
- Hydrocortisone rectal enema
- Hydrocortisone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or solution
- Hydrocortisone suppositories
- Hydrocortisone tablets
- Hydrocortisone topical spray
- Isotretinoin capsules
- Ketoconazole shampoo
- Ketoconazole skin cream
- Ketoconazole skin gel
- Ketoconazole tablets
- Ketoconazole Topical Foam
- Methylprednisolone Solution for Injection
- Methylprednisolone Suspension for Injection
- Methylprednisolone tablets
- Metronidazole extended-release tablets
- Metronidazole injection
- Metronidazole skin gel, cream, or lotion
- Metronidazole tablets or capsules
- Metronidazole vaginal gel
- Minocycline injection
- Minocycline oral extended-release capsules or tablets
- Minocycline Periodontal Powder
- Minocycline tablets or capsules
- Prednisolone eye solution or suspension
- Prednisolone oral disintegrating tablet
- Prednisolone oral solution or syrup
- Prednisolone oral suspension
- Prednisolone tablets
- Prednisone delayed-release tablets
- Prednisone oral solution
- Prednisone tablets
- Salicylic Acid pads, wash
- Salicylic Acid shampoo
- Salicylic Acid topical gel, cream, lotion, solution
- Selenium Sulfide shampoo
- Selenium Sulfide skin foam or lotion
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cleanser or emulsion
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cream, gel, or lotion
- Sulfacetamide; sulfur topical skin foam
- Tazarotene skin cream
- Tazarotene skin cream (Cosmetic Use)
- Tazarotene skin gel
- Tazarotene topical skin foam
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules
- Tretinoin oral capsules
- Tretinoin skin cream (Cosmetic Use; Wrinkles)
- Tretinoin topical solution
- Triamcinolone dental paste
- Triamcinolone injection
- Triamcinolone nasal spray
- Triamcinolone oral inhaler
- Triamcinolone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or aerosol
- Triamcinolone tablets